Tuesday, September 9, 2008

For His Glory Alone

I am feeling a little better today, so Deanna has decided to let me do a post on the blog. There are so many things to say, but perhaps I should open with a prayer. The needle is in the left hand today, so typing is a little easier!

Abba Yahweh, we know that you created all things on the earth, over it, and underneath it, and we know that you still ultimately control everything even though we live in a fallen world. We confess that we are sinners and that we still fail you daily, despite your great love for us. We thank you for everything that you provide us, most especially for your son Jeshua. We ask that you would be gracious and bless us in every way and help us to walk closer to you.

Tomorrow is the 1 week anniversary of being told that there was no hope for us, no life, and that all that remained was essentially to organize my death. They asked if we wanted to fight, to which we answered yes, but that only meant delaying death by a few months miserable with sickness and chemo therapy. My faith in Christ made me content with this, because I knew that eventually he would raise me from the dead in a perfect body, along with my family. What I was not okay with, was leaving behind a young widow and orphan girl. This is a character flaw in me--I should also have enough faith to be able to commit my wife and daughter to Christ's care, no matter when this body dies. I spent the afternoon struggling with that--I imagine Abraham must have felt similar emotions about Isaak.

The emotions are like being kidnapped, hooded, and chained into roller coaster that seemed to never end, slammed from extreme to the other. But the Lord is good. He is our fortress in this storm where we find calm and peace.

Late in the afternoon I made my peace with it. I was ready to go if that was the Lord's will. So I would like to tell you that I made some inspired fight, but it's simply not true. I was done, ruminating about the chemo/radiation option when the miracle phone calls began to come in. The Lord is a warrior, and the battle belongs to Him. He had me to completely rest in Him. He has carried me like a sick child ever since. All the glory must go to him. I've done nothing but rest and be carried along by it. And then He, for His own glory, began to fight on my behalf. That is what this storm is all about...God working miracle after miracle to bring us to where we are today, a week later. From a death sentence, to a fighting chance.

From Melissa telling us her story, from Bill calling us later that evening and explaining cancer and integrative medicine, from the Holy Spirit telling both of us the next day after a sleepless night of prayer to Go, from the kindness of so many people at work, at Eglin, at the church, at the school, in the neighborhood--from Pastor Herman's skill at healing prayers...a thousand consecutive miracles happened. To bring us here, to this fight, so we can watch Jesus WIN. There were other miracles too, even further back. The Timothy leadership classes at CCC in Tucson changed my thinking so much that I could understand what's happening--you men have no idea how much I lean on God's teaching that you helped reveal to me in those classes. And the men at FBC Abilene before them. Deanna's family, friends from around the world. There are so many, I'll never be able to keep track. And certainly there is Uncle Bill, who no matter what the outcome will always have a place here for sharing hope where there was none. Each one of you and the things you did to help are miracles to us from God.

I am a small, selfish, prideful, ugly man in character. And yet to glorify Jesus he has chosen to send us through this storm. Maybe so that everyone will know His power. I will let you in on a secret. In a dream, God showed me a man I know, rising up from baptismal waters, smiling because he knows freedom and joy in Jesus. I don't know when or how this will happen, but I know now that it will happen. If this storm is God's will to happen in order to bring more people to a saving faith, then I say bring it on, no matter what the outcome. A small bargain to pay, a privilege that Jesus would use us in this way.

Deanna and Elizabeth are going to keep you informed about the integrated medicine treatment plan. A friend told Deanna that this is just helping the body to catch up to the healing that Jesus already did the first time Pastor Herman prayed for me. Deanna is the fierce and brave one. She herds a thousand cats a day to make sure we stay on track. My other rock in the storm. And Elizabeth is my shining star, a single look at her is all it takes to Giddy-Up for the next round of whatever.

Need to go now, will try to post some more later. Thank you all for everything and please continue to pray to Jesus for a decisive WIN!

Love in Christ,
-Mike

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I am so excited to read your blog tonight. Every word you wrote speaks life! During my fight to live, my God brother and best friend would sing the following song over me...I would like to proclaim it over you, Deanna and Elizabeth.

"Your latter shall be greater than your past, you will be blessed more than you can ask. In spite of all that has been done the best is yet to come, and your latter shall be greater than your past."

The best days are ahead!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Deanna, Mike and Elizabeth,

Not only are we corporately praying for you each day, our core ministries are joining with us and have thousands of their prayer partners praying for you.

Love, Giact Family

Lisa said...

Mike, I am encouraged by your peace in the situation. God is sovereign, and God is good, but these trials remain hard for our finite minds to grasp. I have been praying for you since Deanna first called me, and I will continue to do so. Nothing is too hard for our God!

-Lisa

Anonymous said...

Mike
The peace in your writing is amazing. Rest in that!
Continuing to bring you before the Throne of Grace-
Amity

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I have ridden the same roller coaster and know the madness of it all. But as you have and will continue to discover after we have been stripped of ourselves, God is there and he is our rock and foundation. Your witness is already touching lives and moving hearts to God and His name is glorified through you. There are christians all around the world praying for you now and God is moving. I pray now for Jesus' love and peace that passes all understanding to flow to you.
- We stand with you in this my brother,

Thom D

Fancy Nanc said...

Mike,
Every word you wrote was truly God just moving the cursor through you and I am so excited to watch the journey of healing.
I too agree that your illness is for a greater good and greater plan that the Lord has. I am agreeing with you in prayer regarding your dream and know it was prophetic.
God through you will slay the giant of cancer and He will be glorified. My hope is in Christ and His great healing Jehovah Rapha hand upon you. Stay strong warrior and know you are loved and prayed for.
Nanc

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike, Deanna and Elizabeth,
WOW! Your faith still continues to amaze me! But you are so right. To God be all GLORY. We cannot get through any trials in our earthly lives without our faith in God. Our every hope lies within His love for us. FIGHT ON! Love, Mary, Perry and T & T

Anonymous said...

Deanna, Mike and Elizabeth,
So good to hear from you, Mike. I truly believe God has set you on the right path with your treatment (I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't much like medical doctors). You have been in our prayers since last week and I can't tell you what an inspiration you all have been. I want you to know that there are prayer warriors praying for healing for you in Minnesota. To Him be the glory.
God Bless and Much Love, Shirley, Michael, Katie & Matt