Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11 - Didn't even know....

As good as yesterday was, today was the opposite. It was one of those rough days for Mike. I am constantly amazed at his strength to endure. We got up at 5:15 am to start the medicine routine. However, today the vomiting lasted until 10:30 am. He is throwing up phlegm which is good. Let me tell you what I have learned about cancer. First of all, we all have cancer cells in our body. However, our immune system is constantly keeping them in line. But once that immune system is broken down the cancer starts to increase. Did you know that a cancer cell will coat itself in exacting 15 layers of phlegm? It is a very acidic environment as well. The outer coating is a way to disguise it from the immune system and a way of protection. That is why cancer is so hard to beat. Getting rid and changing that acidic environment are two of the ways we are attacking Mike's cancer. We have some chemicals -Ce & Rb - that will lower the acidic value of the phlegm allowing the immune system to go on the attack. We are also giving Mike Nutrizyme that cuts of the phlegm production. So it is all good, just a little hard to stand by and watch. I wish I could take some of this one for him.
Anyway, I just realized today is September 11. I drove around all day and wondered, "Why are flags at half-mast?" I want to first apologize to anyone and everyone. I want to take this moment to focus outward instead of inward. I want to thank all our friends and every person in the military for standing up for me and my family. Doing what you do and leaving your family behind time and time again. May God Bless you. 9/11 really changed everything. But in the end, I know that there is a God who is never surprised and will never leave us or forsake us. I pray a special blessing on everyone that lost a friend or love one on 9/11, soldiers wounded or killed serving this great country,and to everyone still serving.
Please continue to pray for us as well. Please pray specifically that Mike will be able to swallow pills/capsules. It would make everything so much easier. I have to break the pills apart and some are just down right nasty. Pray for me that we will get rest and that I can stay organized and not let all the medicine overwhelm me. (Wait until you see everything that he is taking.. this weekend I will post it!). Pray for Elizabeth that her faith will continue to become deeper and deeper with each passing day. We love you and love the emails and blogs! Thank you for continuing to pray for us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers here in Abilene throughout the day. God is good and will take care of you.

Blessings,
Andy & Nancy Dennis

Anonymous said...

I posted a link to your family blog on my blog asking others to pray for you!
Kep your eyes on the Son!
Kelly
www.xanga.com/kainos

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike, Deanna & Elizabeth
I can only imagine how tough this treatment must be. But God will continue to give you all strength to make it through each day. You are all being so strong through this, but remember that it is OK to let yourself be lifted up by others who want to help you when you are not feeling so strong. You are not in this alone!! Never forget that. Love, Mary, Perry, T & T

Anonymous said...

Igor, we just got the word and are keeping you abd your family in our prayers. I still talk about the day you signed me up to be a WSO ML with all the young B-1 guys...it made a big difference to me at the time. Were all gunnig for you! Jonathan "Claw" Creer