Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Operational Art of warfare with cancer

Deanna has graciously allowed me to post again. I thought I would post a few thoughts on our decision to go woth integrative medicine.

When we listened to the bad news, there was no discusion as to the cause of the cancer, no education on its development, but rather just the bad news and a statement that we could extend life a few miserable months with poison and radiation. It was sort of like listening to someone respond to an OIF/OEF like problem with the old stand by, "Nuke 'em till they glow."

But by God's grace, later that evening, we got to listen to Bill speak about cancer. In terms of its roots, it causes, multiple systemic effects. Which led to Bill telling us about his cancer fighting strategy. I began to hear about multiple interlinked sytems, second and third order effects, critical capabilities, critical resources, and critical vulnerabilities. In short, this cancer fighter was using the language of targeting strategy, and it resonated with me deeply. It was like reading Warden and Strange on air strategy. When Bill went on to speak about strengthening the healthy body systems instead of destrotying them with chemotherapy and radiation, while simultaneously attacking the cancer with supplements that in some cases have a thousand-year proven track record--this language resonated with me as well. It's the language of a Special Operations strategist, using un-conventional methods to perform Foreign Internal Defense and Counter-Insurgency operations.

It's a beautiful, well developed campaign plan. Inspired by God I think. At the end of this, I just hope we can figure out how to get every service member who has cancer access to this care. I've been blessed to receive it by a series of consecutive miracles...but how many others are out there who, like I almost did, would just dutifully follow through to the prescribed end-state?

Enough deep thoughts. Today Deanna set up my stuff and then she and Elizabeth got to go to the Mote aquarium, which they tell me was delightfull. They had baby sea turtles, among other things. I managed to get through my rounds of medications and evn balance the checkbook.

I've been overly tired the last few days though, and probably not eating enough. The meds often make me sick, and by the time it starts to wear off, it's usually time to start the next round.

I've been very touched by the outpouring of support from the B-1 community the last few days. To be remembered by so many is humbling. Be safe out there!

Please keep the prayers coming in. Specifically, that I could rest better at night-have some aches and pains that are waking me up. And that I would be able to eat a little more. And that I would have Operational Patience. This is indeed a long COIN/FID campaign, not a short strategic bombing campaign, and it's already trying my patience.

I pray that Jeshua would bless each of you as only he can.

Love in Christ,
-Mike

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I know I don't understand all the military lingo :0), but I'm so glad and encouraged that you are feeling well enough to post. So glad to hear about the visit to the aquarium, and glad to know how to specifically pray. Big hugs to your girls from us Irwins, and know we are still praying each day.

Blessings,
Cassie and the Irwins

lynn / kev said...

Hi Mike. I don't understand the military lingo either, but it's so beautiful to read how the Lord used Bill to really speak to you and lead you to this treatment. God is so personal and loving and tender, isn't He? Our Abba Father. I think that is just beautiful, it strengthens my faith.
I'm so glad to hear from you, Mike, and know that you are continually in our prayers, and we will pray specifically as you request.
Our love & hugs to you, Deanna & Elizabeth. We love you.

In Christ Alone,
Lynnette

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Sounds like you are doing so well. Reading yours, Deanna's and Elizabeth's blogs are so inspirational. Your strength is amazing and I could only hope to fight as hard. Stay tough, pray, and remember that Wendy and I love you guys and are at your beacon call!

- Weebs

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike, Deana, and Elizabeth,
We are praying for all of you. May God hold you tightly in His hand. May you know His peace and strength. And may you continue to glorify Him.
Our love,
Mike, Myra, and Anson Koch

Anonymous said...

Dear Heavenly Father, we pray for healing...we pray you destroy this desease with Your mighty hand! We pray Mike physically feels Your touching on his body. We know when You walked on this earth you healed many, and we know You have never stopped! We ask with humbleness, that you grant Mike and Deanna peaceful sleep at night, so they can work hard during the day. We pray that TODAY is the day Mike can eat and hold down EVERYTHING! We thank you for the amazing way you created our bodies to heal. We thank you for Your amazing love and care about every detail. May You continue to give Mike and Deanna disernment and strength. We love You, Father and praise Your Holy name...and we thank You for this beautiful family. We lift them up to you, Lord, we ask that You continue to carry them in Your arms. We ask all this in Jesus sweet and precious name. Amen

Anonymous said...

Mike,Deanna and Elizabeth,


We are thinking of you and praying for you daily!! We are glad you are blogging to keep us informed. We miss you guys and know this will work!! Believe it or not the boys remember Mike for taking them to the O' club for brunch when their dad was deployed!! It's the little things right???

love
Miyagi, Amy ,Sam, Jack and Max

Unknown said...

Mike,Deanna and Elizabeth,

You all are great warriors!! I don’t know that any of us can relate to the battle that you are in. We are praying for you daily. Keep your eyes heavenward on the Creator and Healer; Jehovah Rapha!

George Jolly

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike, I wish I understood the military lingo, too, but I think I get the drift of it all. I am so glad that you chose this route as opposed to the traditional medical treatment that was offered. I definitely think this is the right way to go!!!. It is so hard for me to imagine how this disease has brought you down so physically (meaning so tired, etc.), but I know that this is only temporary and is just part of the total plan to get you well and get all of your strength back. I am sitting here remembering how I was your "first wife" (oh, that will get people talking, won't it? It was just at the wedding rehearsal, people.) You know, Mike, every time I have spent time with you over the years, I always say to myself that you look at Deanna with such adoring eyes...what a wonderful love that is. And now she is helping you get through this difficult time in your life with a love that will sustain you each and every day. And you have been blessed with Elizabeth...what a sweetheart she is. God is keeping you all in his daily care...I just feel it. Love, Aunt Mary

Anonymous said...

From th Cihak Clan!

Hi Guys!

I had to cut and paste your blogs to and email for Tony as they can't pull it up "over there." He passed it on to others he is with and they all send their support & prayers!

Patti

Hi Elizabeth!
I just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers and that I love you all very much! Eegee is doing good and he did the funniest thing this morning. Let me tell you about it! He was sleeping and I went to pet him and BAM he jumped up! I thought he may have a hamster heart attack! lol and that was my excitement for the day! Maybe it will be your laugh for the day!LOL!(#.#)i love you all very much!
Much Love,
Brianne

CihakClan said...

Hi Again-

Just found out some sad news to pass on to keep in prayer- a former CAOC family member went to be with the Lord a few weeks ago- Chuck Nystrom. Here are some links Tony sent:

http://www.legacy.com/tucson/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=115888403

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/253098

http://www.kvoa.com/global/story.asp?s=8851378

Patti