Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Rough Day - Better Evening

Well, as many of you know, cancer unfortunately is a battle and I was reminded again today that victory is a process of 3 steps forward and 1 step back. So last night, I went to bed at around 11:30. Mike was making his way through the medicines and was throwing up. I went to sleep in the second bedroom, because one of us needs to get sleep. I slept pretty hard too. Mike spent about 3 hours throwing up again last night and then spent the rest of the night with gas pains. I woke him up to do the medicine and he looks exhausted and pale. I "racked up" the medicines and then left him to take a shower, while I showered in the other bathroom. What I didn't realize is how weak and exhausted he was. He said he got in the shower and had to immediately lay down or he was going to pass out. He literally crawled out of the shower and back into bed. I came in to check on him and he said he is really sick and is very dizzy. He said he is not doing the medicine because he physically can't. I get him some water with electrolytes. I tell him that it is ok, we will just work on feeding you. Mike, however, wants to go to the IV therapy because he doesn't want to give the cancer the day off. We load him in the car - PRAISE GOD for this condo! I know for a fact, Mike couldn't have made it down the escalator and out to the car if we were still at the hotel today. We head off to IV therapy and call Bill. Bill then calls the IV clinic and they are ready for us when we arrive. We get Mike to a chair. The clinic is empty (PRAISE GOD!) and Cory, Victoria, and the other "nurse" (I am drawing a blank at her name!) surround Mike and take over. Victoria does a NAT testing on Mike and makes a bag vitamins and minerals for him. So he has a bag of nutrition and then his IV Therapy. I leave Mike there and Elizabeth and I head off for our typical errands to include the new Lego Batman game. We came back to the condo for a short time and I was able to lay down for about 30 minutes and then head back to get Mike. From there we go to the LBG Therapy. They are doing it in a reclining chair for Mike so it allows him to sleep a little bit. After LBG, we had a new treatment today... colonics. I am not going to blog specifics here, but the purpose of it is to pull toxins out of your body. They were able to do that and Mike is better. PRAISE GOD!

As you can probably tell, it was one of those days but God is so good. First of all, Elizabeth and I were in the car on the way to pick up Mike from treatment. We were talking about Daddy and cancer. She said, "Once I got through all my tatrums, everything was fine. I just laid it on God and there is nothing to worry about." She just said it so matter of fact. It is over for her. I have been a little worried about her. She really seems fine and almost like we are on vacation. I had been thinking that maybe she wasn't dealing with it. But I realized today, she did deal with it in the best way possible. She laid it on God and left it there. (Oh, Lord, please teach me to be more like her! Amen!)

Today, when we get to the Wellness Center, we have a box and a letter. The box contained very special mail from my mother. It was a 6 page letter that I will keep the rest of my life. We also recieved "Get Well" cards from my neice's 5th Grade class at Walker Elementary. You can't even imagine how precious they were. My nephew did a GREAT Star Wars Book card with lots of Star War ships. We all know Mike loves Star Wars. My neice's card said "Love Jesus! He will help!" We got one from Aleeeka too! She is my cousin technically, but the same age as Elizabeth. One little boy told Mike that he "hopes he gets better soon to get back in the air" with an fighter plane and wings he drew by hand! Megan and Mackenzie we liked your cards too. AND Rebecca, we remember when you broke you arm at Madissens birthday party. It made us sad when that happened. Mrs. Scarbrough, thank you for the special notes!

Now the letter came from Bernie and her family. Bernie, you touched us deeply and brought us to tears. God Bless you! I hope to write you very soon.

Finally,I got a call from an old friend Donna today. It was perfect timing and she allowed me to release a little bit. To everyone who is reading, writing, calling and praying, thank you. thank you. thank you. We have so many wonderful memories with everyone. Rich and Sarah, where are you? We have lost contact with so many through the years but it doesn't mean that we like it. Our personal email is deanna.phillips@cox.net.

May God Bless everyone for lifting us up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike, Deanna, and Elizabeth, I am up late tonight...can't sleep.So I thought I would send you another note of love and support. I just can't believe that this is happening to you. But God, in his infinite wisdon, does have a plan. We want all of the answers NOW and we want them answered to suit our selfish needs. And then when we actually learns what His plan was all along, we sit back and wonder....why was I wanting to be in control? Why didn't I trust God all the time? His way was much better than my way! I know you all have a tremendous faith and trust in God. Never forget that He is walking right beside you on this journey, ready to reach out His hand to catch you if you stumble. Give Elizabeth a big hug from me. I wish I could be there. Love, Aunt Mary