Wednesday, September 10, 2008

One Week. One God.

One week... Is has been one week since they diagnosed Mike with Stage 4 cancer. One week, since everything turned upside down in my life. Here is the thing. I love Mike very much. I really love him. God gave me a great man. But I also like him too. I like to spend time with him. He makes me laugh. He challenges me to think and he constantly surprises me with the depth of his knowledge and wisdom. He is the calm when I am the storm. I love him and I am not quite done with him yet! Here is the most valuable thing I have learned this week....I can not do it alone. I am not in charge. Relying on me creates panic, tears, stress, and utter hopelessness. "I" sucks... (there is just no better word to describe it).



However, it has also been one week since we got that email from Melissa and made the step to call Bill. God has moved many mountains. He has sent us all of you. I can not even begin to express our love for each and everyone of you. Your encouragement, support, emails, prayers, everything. God has covered us and swaddled us through you. We are receiving blogs/emails from friends all over the world. Sherry reminded us tonight that she prays for us in London in the morning. That is 5 hours before we wake up. She is already lifting our day to the Lord before our day has begun. We have people who know people who are praying for us. The intent of this blog was to let people know what is going on. However, it is now our nightly comfort. After running around, doing treatments, throwing up... Mike and I sit in bed and I read him all the comments and emails. They are like spring rain, or a lullaby before we sleep. You strengthen us. God allows you to comfort us. May God bless you for that. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you.



So what are the changes in Mike's health is one week. One week ago, Mike slept all day. He drank maybe 6 -10 ozs of water. (true). He couldn't eat anything. He was so tired that he couldn't even get ready without taking a break. He was pasty white. He couldn't sleep on his back and tossed and turned all night due to the pain in his stomach. He really wasn't even standing up straight.

Today, Mike has drank 2 liters of water. He can swallow 3 tiny pills. He eats soup and hummus. He is tired, but has more energy. He has color in his face. I caught him briefly sleeping on his stomach. He walks straighter.



Now, this is a hard road and there will be good days and bad days. But there is no way Mike could have endured radiation/chemo in the shape he was in. This isn't a program where in two weeks, he will return to work. Though, for everyone who knows Mike well, he is already thinking of working certain shifts. (I will deal with that when the time comes!). I think the best thing that can be said is that Mike is doing better and he is stronger. God is so good.



I want to make sure and write down the everyday miracles that God continues to give us everyday. First of all, Mike and Bill at the Bean Stalk. It is the organic restaurant that grinds soup for Mike and Elizabeth and I get dinner to go every night so far. They gave us hummus last night for Mike. I wasn't going to take it for fear Mike couldn't eat it. But it really refreshed Mike to eat some other flavor. They are watching out for me. They give me herbal tea and tell me I need it and to sit down. Bill is a retired Navy Seal. He stood at the door tonight we I left and caught Mike's attention. He saluted him. God can bring me to my knees so quickly and with the smallest gestures.



Hurricane Ike made his presence known here. Both last night and this morning. It poured down rain. I was stressed and "the storm" that I mentioned earlier. I was trying to get everything loaded to include laundry to take to a Laundromat. AND I was tired. I got everything down to the lobby and walked out and the rain had stopped. As I was walking to get the car, God said, "How could you not know?" As in how could I not know He would take care of it.



He also allowed me a nap. Not a long one, but a needed one. One of God's little mercies that I found today was a Laundromat that has drop off and pick up service right down the street from the ANWC. I have never done that, but needed to today. I took full advantage and paid the extra money so I could go to the hotel and nap for an hour while Mike was doing his IV therapy.



We are headed to bed early tonight. Mike and I get up about 2 - 2.5 hours ahead of his first treatments to get all the supplements (and so he has time to throw up). May God Bless you! I promise to blog Mike's medical/supplement routine this weekend!

To God be the Glory!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

May God give you all a good nights rest! May He continue to pour out His amazing love, mercy, guidance, peace "and" those sweet miracles. I praise Him that Mike is feeling better today!! I also thank Him that Ike's company was short lived, and he didn't interfere with the Mike's treatments.
Thank you you both for sharing your days with us. It is a blessing to be able to rejoice with you and pray for you! We all know when times get tough, we will show are true character. Well... if character was measured, you two would be off the charts! I thank you for your beautiful testamony on what true faith looks like!

May the "Son" shine bright tomorrow! Thinking and praying for you constantly....~Roxanne

Lisa said...

Ike will be visiting us within a few hours. I've watched a line of storms plow through Tallahasse on weather.com, so I know it's just a matter of time!

Mike must be soooo tired of throwing up. It's a lousy way of getting those six-pack abs! But I love hearing of the progress made in one week. I love to hear how one fights by resting.

I thank God for His mercies, for stopping the rain before the laundry-fest, for the nap, for hummus, for a face awash in color, for the determination to think about working shifts. He knows what we need and what is good for our hearts. It is good to know that I can refuse to worry and fully entrust you all to Him.

Still praying...

-Lisa

Anonymous said...

We are very encouraged to hear Mike is making progress.....you are always on our minds. I talked to Melissa and she mentioned she had talked to you and was encouraging you to stay in Sarsasota for an additional two weeks. We really think that is a great idea and hope you will do that. From what she tells me that may be the best way to get to move the healing forward a little faster. Please do stay and take advantage for everthing ANWC has to offer.
You are continually in out thoughts and prayers.
Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Dear Deanna, Mike and Elizabeth, We just want you to know that our prayers continue to flow all day long. I would love to talk to you once again. If you do see my name on your caller ID, please know that you don't have to answer, but I would like to leave a message. These blogs are great, but sometimes a familiar voice from someone who loves you is a good thing, too. May God's blessings continue to be upon you. Love, Mary, Perry T & T

Anonymous said...

Deanna,
Praise GOD for progress in all forms! You ended with "to God be the glory" and GOD IS GLORIFIED through you and Mike and your testimony! Henry and I are praying right now (part of your UK prayer battalion) for Mike's healing. There are warriors in the Midwest that will taking over in a few hours and one of my dearest AF friends will continue the assault from Hawaii. When you hear someone use the phrase "24/7" know that the POWER of God is being called out for Mike and you -- 24/7!! Your family blesses everyone who reads your blog by allowing us to hear you bear witness to your great faith in an AWESOME God.Kathleen
muhlbauer5@hotmail.com

Fancy Nanc said...

Deanna, Mike, and Elizabeth,
Once again in a new day, God has shown His faithfulness to you and Mike is continuing to gain strentght. I am so happy to hear that and grateful that our God is bigger than all of the struggle with disease. All three of you are building a testimony that must be heard for more than just the people on this blog because without Him and His leading, who knows what would have happened. I continue to pray for your strength daily and am ready and available at any point to come down and help you with anything you need. Trust in the Lord with all you heart on days it is hard and lean not to your own understanding.
Love you,
Nancie

lynn / kev said...

"And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Phil 4:19

Praising God for all He's doing in and through and for you. You're in His grip, and in our hearts & prayers. For His glory!

Love,
Lynnette

Anonymous said...

Team Phillips--Mike,Deanna & Elizabeth, the very best wishes and prayers from Bama and the Woodie family. Just heard of your diagnosis and we are sad you guys are facing this crisis. We heard from Claw who heard from Chief and so on (almost like all the begats in Leviticus). No doubt it will continue to race through the grapevine and the wishes and prayers will pour in. Mike I've always admired the man you were when I was fortunate to serve with you. You were the model officer--honest, honorable, amazing work ethic, love of family, confident Christian and crazy mad WSO skillzz in the jet...as I read the blog and see Team Phillip's strength, I'm even more impressd with man you are today. GOD BLESS my friend (JAMES 5:16) Woodman ewoodie@charter.net/205-358-8585
Semper I Believe in Miracles

Anonymous said...

Reading this blog has been such a testimony and I'm blessed by seeing your strength in God and in each other.

Jim Ball said...

Mike and Deanna

Jim and Cindy Ball from Abilene. Our hearts are broken with this news yet strengthened by the testimony we see. I do not understand why these things happen. Don't believe I ever will while here. As I think about that, I recall periodic thoughts over the years when I realize this is not my home. It feels like it sometimes but, at the end of the day, it is simply a glimpse in time afforded us to principally make one important decision that will determine the really important matter of where we spend our real time someday. You have both settled that so please hold on to this and know that none of us have yet begun to know the joy that is in store for us. I know that where you are is not where any of us would choose to be or even what you expected not long ago. Any of us could in your shoes tomorrow. Does not make it any easier for you but please know that we have aligned ourselves with you and stand beside you as you work your way through this incredible difficulty. I see from the blogs that you are blessed with many friends already supporting you and it is our prayer that His peace and joy will cover and eminate around and within you giving you the strength and fight to press on in accomplishing whatever he has in store. I would choose a miracle but my perspective is both limited and tainted by my human limitations and I cannot pretend to know his will. I pray it is to heal but regardless, want you to know it is our privilege to count both of you among the true believers we have known, loved, and called our friends. We love you. - Jim and Cindy