Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A precious moment

Over the past 36 hours, I have experienced every kind of emotion from absolutely livid to joy beyond what words can describe. I will do my best to explain what has been going on, but have to leave out things so I don't get myself in trouble.

Things kind of came to a head yesterday. Mike's pain was out of control. His bed had been broken for 24 hours and then the doctor came by when I stepped out and left with no concern about Mike being in pain. I hadn't slept in 24 hours and I had had it. I called in the troops and we went about trying to find another hospital to transfer Mike too. Mike didn't deserve this. So my troops rallied and what has been going on has been made known. Unfortunately all hospitals are full and there are no beds. We ended up having one of those meetings and everything is out in the open. We have a new doctor who hopefully understands managing pain and not just shooting in the dark. Things have been better today and so far, Mike's pain has been somewhat under control. Better, but not perfect yet.

So while this is all going on, Mike starts talking. His tongue is still swollen but you can just make out what he is saying. At the first of the day it was "hurts". Then "Mama help me". Then it progressed to "Deanna hold my hand" "Move my left knee it hurts" "Rub my arm hurts". That is just hard to bear and also what led to the very shortened story above. But then, as I was crying and telling him if the pain is too much that Elizabeth and I would be ok, he told me "Oh mama, it will be fine". Then he started saying our code word. Then, at one incredibly glorious moment, I told him that this was the best valentines present ever (meaning him communicating after so long). Our heads were very close and he said "Ahh..." reached up and rubbed my head and pucker his lips. I bent down and kissed him.

That was a life moment. Priceless. Worth everything. I am amazed at Mike's will to fight and will to live. The cancer is raging, but go God. The charge nurse who was on the night Mike came out of the ICU and back to the floor to pass away was here last night. She said hello to Mike and Mike turned to her and said hello. She said, "Mr. Phillips, you amaze me!" We talked about that night and how death hung near then. Yet here we still are and I will continue to fight for Mike as long as he fights. All the while, I have taken my direction from God and from Mike. The cool thing was that Mike confirmed yesterday things I have been telling people/doctors all along. You get asked that question a lot when people think you are acting out of the "distraught wife" mode. What would Mike want? or What would Mike say? He would say exactly what he has said, " The battle belongs to the Lord" and " don't worry Mama, God will take care of it. It will be fine".

So here we are still in a ferocious battle. The cancer is spreading everywhere, and yet Mike is still living. His vitals are good, his blood work is good, no signs of anything shutting down. The pneumonia is better and lungs sound clear. I know what the battle is. I know what cancer does. But I refuse to take Jesus out of the equation. I refuse to loose all HOPE. Because the Lord I serve has all authority and all power. I see the writing on the wall, but I hear the Voice of Truth in my heart and head.

Prayer:
Mike and pain relief
God to continue to show his hand and His might for His Glory here
Sleep.... Sleep... sleep
Elizabeth appears to be working on a cold... Healing for her and protection for all of us

Praise:
One more day
precious moments

16 comments:

lynn / kev said...

Oh my gosh, what an inspiration you are to all of us!!! Mike is a valiant warrior, you both are! The battle belongs to the LORD and you are covered in the full armor of God, Jesus' blood! PRAISE GOD! We love you so and continue to uphold you to the King of kings! L&K

Anonymous said...

You've got me crying Deanna. What a beautiful moment for you and Mike! I'm still praying. Our God is bigger than the hospitals, the doctors and cancer.

God Bless You!
Stephanie Brentwood

CihakClan said...

I agree... what great hope and blessing God gives in the midst of the storm. Praying with tears on the other side of this blog a half a world away...

Anonymous said...

My goodness...Mike's fight and strength continue to amaze all of us! I echo Stephanie's comments above--"what a beautiful moment for you and Mike"!

Once again, I find myself sitting here crying over Mike's progress.

Lord, please continue to guide and take care of this amazing family! They, as we all do, lean on you for faith and continued strength.

Your brothers and sisters at the 623 AOC pray for you all and continue to keep you in our throughts. Brig Gen Webb, the 23 AF/CC, was briefed on Mike's condition during staff meeting and says he'll keep you in his prayers too!

Love,
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

I am speechless at this testimony of Gods love...
Continuing in prayer!

Anonymous said...

Deanna thank you for sharing this post. I'm so thankful God gave you that precious time with Mike. Our God is so Good! We are praying for you, Mike and Elizabeth everyday. We know that God is in control and His will will be done!! We are here praying and loving your sweet family! Love you friend!
Traci

Anonymous said...

Deanna,
Thank you so much for posting/sharing. We ladies in ABQ prayed for you this morning and I will continue to pray...especially that you would SLEEP and Elizabeth will not get any worse with her cold. Mike is being taken care of (now that you had your troops rally!) so YOU need to TAKE CARE of yourself and CONTINUE to let people HELP YOU. I know back in Tucson that was hard for you but I think you're getting "better" at that! I know I sound like a "mother" but I am, but mostly you are my friend and I CARE DEEPLY for you!! Gini

Anonymous said...

Our God is an Awesome God! What an incredible gift! We continue to pray for the whole family.

Doug & Dena

Anonymous said...

Deanna, I am very, VERY proud of you. You are not letting fear or despair control you. You are not letting cancer have the last word. Cancer can never have the last word as long as you declare the power and authority of Jesus. And Mike cannot have anything stolen that he would freely lay down for the glory of his Lord. I am so incredibly proud of you both.

I am praying that the Lord CRUSH pain under His mighty foot. I pray that Mike will find relief flooding his entire being. I pray that the medicine of laughter would once again permeate his room and bring the joy of healing. I pray that the Lord astound the doctors who deal in death by breathing LIFE into the brokenness.

I love you all.

-Lisa

Sheilagh said...

An Amazing Post, God Bless you All.
Our Prayers are with you.

Sheilagh

Sandie said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Mike.
Sandie & Lucien Grisé

Anonymous said...

GOOD GIRL! With Gods help and guidance, you took control! I can just see that Dr. walking in, looking at Mikes chart, clicking his pen...dotting his i's and crossing the t's, feeling Mikes toes, and walking out. Mike can not speak loud enough to express his pain, wants or needs. So he does it through you...Deanna you have to keep a clear focus on what YOU want to happen, and communicate that, LOUDLY if need be so THEY--the care givers & medical staff hear you!!! AND KEEP COMMUNICATING UNTIL THEY LISTEN!! GOOD JOB!
Take a rest today.
God's Peace,
Mary

C&R said...

Your testimony of grace is just amazing...we are so grateful for the moments of joy that God has given you, and so blessed by the privilege of praying for your faithful and beautiful family...hang in there! Chris & Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Deanna and Mike,
Your strength and faith in the Lord continue to amaze and instruct me. We continue to pray for peace, comfort and strength for Mike. Wish I could be there to pray with you....and watch God work there. I love you guys!!!
Sherry

Sue said...

We continue to be amazed by your strength and unwavering faith. God is truly at work...praying for the three of you.
Sue & Joe Brown

Unknown said...

Praying, praying, praying. God, we trust in you.