Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Home

We got home this afternoon. We originally coming home yesterday, but some weird stuff in Mike's stomach had to go to the lab to be evaluated for blood. Once they knew it wasn't blood, they released us to come home. It is different this time though. Yes, Mike is stronger, but he is in pain. His lower back hurts and they sent us home with a pill for pain and at this posting I am not sure if it is working. I finally pulled out the liquid morphine and gave him a dose. It took the edge off the pain. I am a little nervous about that and am having to start over learning a new process again. The kitchen table is full of new folders and instruction manuals. The new pump arrived, the new home health nurse came by, and I have 4 new medications to add to our daily routine. I am fine with all that. I will figure it out and it will become routine eventually. The pain is the unknown. For a minute there, I thought that I would have to load Mike in the car and take him right back to the hospital. But I think we are on top of it for now.

Elizabeth had her first ensemble competition (oboe) last night and they got a 1 plus rating and a medal. She is so excited and we are so proud of her.

Please continue to pray and ask everyone you know to pray. We still don't know our next move or where we should turn. I did call Cancer Treatment Centers of America today. They take Tricare STANDARD insurance (not Prime), but since it pays the same as Medicare (have you heard that before?) they only take a limited number of patients on Medicare/Tricare. The next new patient opening is in July.

Father God, we are seeking you and your direction....

I will post more tomorrow. But I do want to say two things. (1) Today is our 1 year retirement anniversary from the Air Force. (2) Our new home health nurse came over and we found out that there is another young military (Army or AF, can't remember) guy retired here in McKinney with young family that has Esophageal Cancer.... makes you think. I did ask the nurse to pass along our information. I would love to connect with them.

Prayer needs:
For Mike to not be in pain
For complete earthly healing for Mike
For medical direction
For rest
For God's will

Praise:
Mike is home
Elizabeth and the joy she brings us
Our AF family. We love you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Mike is home and I'm praying for the Lord to ease his discomfort and heal his body completely.

Congrats to Elizabeth!

Julie said...

Love you! Praying and passing the word to everyone to pray.

Anonymous said...

Always in our thoughts and prayers...especially for pain relief and wisdom! Love, Gini

Cassie Irwin said...

Heavenly Father,

I come before you right now to lift up Mike, Deanna and Elizabeth before you. I ask for complete eartly healing of Mike's body, relief from the pain, the ability to eat food, good and healing rest, and a peace to him. If it is your will, please provide a miraculous appointment sooner than July at Cancer Treatment Centers of America and wisdom about all treatment decisions ahead. I also ask for a comforting peace to completely wrap around Deanna and Elizabeth. Give Deanna strength as she integrates the new medicines into her daily routine, and an incredible ease in doing all that has to be done, especially with paperwork. Ease Elizabeth's stress about school and projects and help her to do well in sports and music at school. Help them all to experience joy and laughter each day and feel your presence constantly.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen

Traci Estes said...

Deanna, please know I am praying for you guys daily. I recently heard the expression, "aren't you glad God never frets!" I love that! There is great comfort in that. Love you friend!