Saturday, February 20, 2010

Proxy's

I was able to go home last night and watch Star Wars Clone Wars with Elizabeth and then go to sleep. I am still a little confused at how I fell asleep and slept until 8:30. Actually, just a tad guilty. But I KNOW that Mike would have wanted me to do that and I KNOW he was in very capable hands while I wasn't here. So thank you Jesus for watching over him and thank you Melissa for sleeping with Mike last night (sorry... just had to post it that way! LOL).

Well, Mike continues to amaze all. The nurses are just pulling for him and pulling for him. Every day we are hear, more and more people come out of the woodwork asking about him. Our nurse last night was so happy to see us. She said she wanted to call all week to check on him, but was afraid. She didn't want to get bad news. Linda came in today and says he looks better. He is strong and all lab work is good. His pneumonia is better. His EEG was really inconclusive because he was moving around, though the brain waves were slow. But that could be due to medication. Mike continues to be in pain. He has outbursts and it is so hard to watch and not be able to do anything. He is on EXTREME levels of pain medication and sedation medications. We have also added another "brain" medication to see if that helps. There are moments and actions that are completely Mike. Not a lot, but a few. He is blinking again as well. I pray and I pray. I feel like I am missing something, but I don't know what. I don't know how to break this cycle of more and more pain medicines. I pray and I pray and I pray.... and then I pray.

Doug and Dena left today to go back to Omaha and Jeff leaves tomorrow to fly back to Germany. I can't even explain how much they will be missed and how awesome it was to have them here. They took care of every honey do list I ever had and then some. They battled it out of the Wii Sports Resort front. They laughed, cried, hugged, supported, questioned doctors, held Mikes hand, took care of me, and went to the moon and back for Elizabeth. All joy. Dear friends. AND here is what I know.... they were proxy's for everyone and you would be proud.

I am going to ask for one specific prayer for Mike....pain relief.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel guilty; I'm sure you and Elizabeth really needed a good night's sleep. God Bless Him for sending you Amie; she is truly a blessing that was brought into your lives at the right time. She sounds like a WONDERFUL nurse!

I am very encouraged to hear your latest update on Mike's condition and pray he will only improve. He's been through so much, but God continues to look after him, you and Elizabeth.

We all continue to pray for you all and you are constantly in our thoughts!

Love,
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Prayers for pain relief - you got it!!!!

lynn / kev said...

Yes, Mike would definitely approve of you & Elizabeth watching "Star Wars" no doubts about that! :) Big Praises for all God's provisions--including your dear friends and wonderful caring nurses. We check your blog several times a day, and we are praying & trusting. God bless you all & love, Lynnette & the Tucson CG xoxox

Anonymous said...

praying! Tom and Kathleen

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't feel guilty. You need your rest so that you can be there for Mike. I'm glad that you and Elizabeth got to have some time together. I'm still praying for all of you and will add your specific pain relief prayer to my list.

Stephanie Brentwood

Anonymous said...

What you said about proxy is kind. I had to look up the meaning of the word in the dictionary so I would be sure I had the right meaning. Thanks for the update and the kind words. I am sorry to hear Mike is chewing his tongue when in a lot of pain. Also, I am so thankful for everything your friends were able to do for you. PTL Love, Pam C.