Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cancer spreading - now in Mike's Brain

Some interesting things have happened over the last 24 hours. Mike has been have combative phases and yesterday I noticed that he was no longer moving his left arm. He is now only moving his right arm. I decided to risk the pain and go ahead and do a CT Scan. I wanted a whole body scan to assess the situation, but didn't get that. I did get the head CT and Mike's has two lesions that they can see. They are fairly confident that there are more that would show up if we did a study with contrast. We did it early this morning and waited all day for the doctor to tell us. In my gut I knew. I googled things last night and realized over the last few weeks, Mike has had every symptom. But hearing it spoken out loud is still hard to swallow.

I had a lot of questions for the doctor, which were all vague answers. It is so frustrating when all you want is the facts and they give you "I don't knows" or "well we know he has cancer". YES... I know.. But they don't understand the fight we have walked. The thing is his lab work is great. His heart is strong. His organs are functioning. Yet, we have cancer just on a all out assalt in Mike's body. Decisions are hard. Mike has brief moments of Mike like touches and recognition to voices. So tomorrow, with help for some people, I am looking in to other options, with possible transfer to another place. But that will take some time, some paperwork, and some research AND insurance approval on both sides!

I did tell Elizabeth tonight that they found cancer in Daddy's brain. I told her it explains why Daddy doesn't' talk and his behaviors. I can handle this. Mike can handle this. Elizabeth is so fragile. The roller coaster is almost more than she can bear. I pray for her so much.

I am just tired. Last night was not a restful night for Mike and therefore not for me. I tried to sleep in the morning and then they came for the CT Scan. I had to help the guy push Mike's extremely heavy sand bed with IV pole down to do the scan. The funny thing is the guy who did the scan left Mike out in the hall to wait on the tech to push him back upstairs. He looked at me and said he should be just a few minutes and then he turned to leave. I looked at him and said, "This bed is extremely heavy and we had a hard time pushing it down." He thought the tech could handle it. I said, "I am sure people would not be happy if they knew I was pushing this heavy bed with my husband in it back to the room." He then happily? helped the tech push the bed back upstairs. When I say this bed is heavy, it is heavy!! It is a special sand air mattress that they brought in to help Mike with the bed sores. The bottom half of the bed is fine sand and air pumps through to prevent pressure points.

I am sad to post this news. But God is not done. I will not take HOPE out of this, even to the last breath and beyond. I have really learned over this journey that God ordains every breath. Christ has conquered the grave leaving nothing to fear. We serve a God that is greater than cancer. He is here and we are holding on tightly, no matter what.

Prayer:
Mike complete earthly healing
Pain to ease along with combativness
Medical decisions
Medical direction with complete insurance support if we move Mike
Sleep for me..
Elizabeth

Praise:
So many people that are helping is big and small ways.
The layers of help that help me spend so much time by Mike's side. So many people are helping by helping those that help me. People are throwing out schedules and reworking. Husbands and kids are missing a parent, because they are with me at hospital. I am so grateful. So blessed. So loved.

21 comments:

The Chalmers said...

Still Praying!!!!

Sandie said...

God's plan isn't just about "us" it's about a community of people coming together, praying together and supporting one another. His plan is different for each and every one of us. WE need to remind ourselves that although we might not be here forever- it's the good things that we do while we are here and the love we share with one another that will live on long after we are gone.

Your entire family are in our thoughts and prayers.
Sandie and Lucien Grisé

Anonymous said...

Praying for you all, always, all days, each of you, we are praying praying praying. When words fail, His name is enough. The Muhlbauers

Anonymous said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers daily.

lynn / kev said...

Glad you said something to get help with that bed. We are praying and thanking God that you are in His hand, all of you, and He will never let you go. He is sovereign, and what a comfort that is, what a joy. John 11:25-26 Love, Lynnette

Anonymous said...

Deanna,
I am praying so much for Elizabeth and praying that you will get SLEEP. I can't even start to imagine what you are going through but am so thankful that you have "people" working for you/with you...or are they all "angels"???? I'll be bringing you all up in my ladies BS tomorrow, as usual, and they will be praying! LOVE & HUGS, Gini

lynn / kev said...

Read Psalm 57. He is the anchor of our souls, no matter what is going on around us. He also knows your limits. He will comfort and protect His own. It reminds me of the small child walking with his Dad by a railroad track. The Dad has ahold of his child's hand, he will not let go. The child doesn't realize his danger, but the father knows and he won't let go. Neither will the LORD let go of you, or any of us who trust in Him. What a comfort. He has promised He will never leave us nor forsake us, and we know He will always keep His promises. Praise God!!!

Anonymous said...

Listening to the song,
There is GOD but Lee Ann Womack right now and thinking of you all!

Anonymous said...

I'm praying. I have friends praying too. I wish I was there to hug you and keep you company, watching for what God will do next.

I love you all.

Lisa

Unknown said...

Unceasing in our prayers for you all.

Anonymous said...

Heard this song today, "Temporary Home" and it seems so fitting. I am posting them for you:

Little boy, 6 years old
A little too used to bein' alone
Another new mom and dad,another school
Another house that'll never be home
When people ask him how he likes this place
He looks up and says with a smile upon his face

"This is my temporary home
It's not where I belong
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through
This is just a stop, on the way to where I'm going
I'm not afraid because I know this is my
Temporary Home."

Young mom on her own
She needs a little help got nowhere to go
She's lookin' for a job, lookin' for a way out
Because a half-way house will never be a home
At night she whispers to her baby girl
Someday we'll find a place here in this world

"This is our temporary home
It's not where we belong
Windows and rooms that we're passin' through
This is just a stop, on the way to where we're going
I'm not afraid because I know this is our
Temporary Home.

Old man, hospital bed
The room is filled with people he loves
And he whispers don't cry for me
I'll see you all someday
He looks up and says "I can see God's face"

"This is my temporary Home
It's not where I belong
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through
This was just a stop,on the way To where I'm going
I'm not afraid because I know this was
My temporary home."

This is our temporary home

Unknown said...

Reading everyday and praying for you all. Have my best prayer warriors praying too. We all know the power of prayer. Much love!

Nicole Fredrikson

Anonymous said...

Deanna, you have to be your own advocate with the hospitals, doctors and insurance. You push them as much as you feel you need to, to get what you feel needs to be done for Mike.

I'm still praying for you all, especially those specific prayers you have asked for.

Stephanie Brentwood

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about today's events; my heart truly goes out to you all.

I am saying extra prayers for you and Elizabeth. It must be so difficult for her to see her daddy like this. If she is a quarter of you and Mike, she will take it all in and be strong. I just cannot imagine what you all are going through. I continue to think of you all day, every day and pray for you all!

God bless all those who are there for you; they are truly angels and blessings in your time of need. Just know that we've not given up and know that God will take care of you, Mike and Elizabeth!!

Your strength and determination inspire so many of us; you are a hero in my book!

Sending prayers for easier days...God bless you all!
Love,
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you. I know that Taylor is checking on Elizabeth at school but please let us know if we can help with her in any way. Does Elizabeth need a ride to church on Wednesday night?

Love,
Karen Runyan
krunyan01@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Deanna...we'll see you soon. I'm praying that Landon and Payton can distract Elizabeth from her sadness...just a little, anyway. I think and pray all day long for you all. I'll talk to you soon. Love and prayers, Roxanne

Anonymous said...

I agree with the loving messages that were already written today. Also,I am sure it has been for Elizabeth that you both have endured. May you continue to get the help you need for Elizabeth and the rest you need for yourself, and may there be complete healing for Mike! May the Lord be praised now and forever.Love,Pam C.

Anonymous said...

"Faith means being sure of the things we hope for and knowing that something is real even if we do not see it."
Hebrews 11:1

Janet said...

We are praying for you all and thanking Him for your witness even through all of this. You are truly a wonderful example of God's strength even in bad times.

Janet & Keith White

Anonymous said...

Dear child of God, by sorrow crushed,
May this your comfort be;
The Lord is ruling over all,—
He loves and cares for thee.

Though Satan seek to buffet sore,
He bows at God's command;
He cannot touch nor harm thee when
God says, "Stay now thine hand."

The One who shed His precious blood
To set the sinner free;
With that same matchless love untold
Is watching over thee.

The Lord who stretched the heavens forth
The earth's foundation laid,—
With that same power He guards His child
And says "Be not afraid."

For "God is faithful"—blessed Word!
Temptation, fear, or snare,
He never will allow one test
Above that ye can bear.

The trial and testing He allows,
By love and wisdom planned,—
When His own purpose is fulfilled
He speaks —"Stay now thine hand."

The pathway may seem rough and steep,
You'll feel His presence near,
You'll hear the precious Shepherd's voice,
" 'Tis I, child, never fear."

Then trust His love,—keep looking up,
On Jesus fix thy gaze;
The way He leads will give thee cause
For everlasting praise.

In glory we will give Him praise
For all the way He led;
Then we will understand His ways,
But here, we trust instead.

Poem written by Lois Beckwith, posted by a friend

Anonymous said...

Be patient. "In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy path." Patience.

Just say, "Jesus I need your help." Then sit, rest, breath and believe. Have patience. His will be done. Have patience, have a rest.

Love to you and Elizabeth and to Mike, through Christ who strengthens us,
Mary