Saturday, February 6, 2010

Answered prayers, hurdles ahead.

It was a busy morning. I slept late and got a call from Mike at 8:30 saying the GI doctor was here and he was going to be scoped. He was worried about the insurance paying for it. I had to reassure him that he was admitted through the ER and everything done while in the hospital will be covered. I hate that he is even worried about insurance paying or not. I told him that is my job. Don't worry. So I hopped in the shower, threw some clothes one, gave Elizabeth a list of what needs to be done at home and her schedule and headed to the hospital. I didn't make before they took him back, but thank God my Dad was here. I was able to say I love you over the phone to him and Dad was waiting for me in the waiting room. I praise God that we have a different GI doctor for this procedure. She is actually the doctor that did my Dad's colonoscopy about a month ago and the same doctor that will do my mother's later this week.

The procedure went longer than expected. She stretched Mike's esophagus and then moved into the stomach down to the bottom where the stomach empties into the intestines. It is called the duodenum (sp??). Haven't had time to research that yet. Anyway, that area is now thickening and they took a biopsy. It appears that the cancer has spread there. So the doctor stretched that area just like she did to the esophagus. This is good because it means that Mike's stomach will drain. Mike has been put on IV nutrition and on Monday will get a GJ Tube. The G tube will extend into his stomach and the J portion of that tube will go into his small intestines. In the meantime, we need to be in prayer about placing a stent down in that area. It is something that can not be done here at this hospital and we would have to go to one down in Dallas. I don't know about the insurance end of that so please be praying that if that is an option we choose, that the insurance will not be an issue.

So this new GI doctor is wonderful and such a blessing. As I was talking to her, I realized that God has answered a prayer that I have been praying for so long. She had options. She had ideas for pain management. She didn't suck the hope out of the air. AND her office doesn't take Tricare. My Dad mentioned Medicare and she said Tricare pays less than Medicare. (another doctor). BUT she also said she wished there was something better for these guys because they sacrifice so much to serve our country AND she said she would talk to her office manager and see if there was a way to take Mike as a patient as an outpatient. Thank you Jesus.

Mike is resting and is very low on energy. They are working on clearing his bowels and he is getting wonderful care today. The nurses are wonderful and the tech is one of the best we have ever had. We have many hurdles to jump here, but I can finally see the hurdles and that is an answer to prayer as well.

It is good to journal to see how God moves when you pray. I have seen very real prayers answered in very real ways today. I know God is listening and moving and therefore I fully believe that He has heard and is hearing my prayers about Mike's complete earthly healing and will answer them. In fact He is hearing the prayers for Mike all around the world. So I am on my knees, waiting, praising, and watching.....

Prayer needs:
Mike's strength, energy nutrition, pain, and for the cancer to die
Elizabeth and I as we try to maintain some sort of schedule during the days and weeks ahead
For the insurance to work out for all Mike's medical needs including this wonderful GI doctor
For the numbness in Mike's right foot. It is a side effect from Chemo and it has progressed with this last treatment.

Praise:
Dad
God answering prayers
For the wonderful nurses in GI lab and on the floor. In fact, the GI nurse ran into me in the hall after she brought Mike back from the procedure. She said how much she has been praying for us and glad we had a good Christmas. She said how everyone asks about Mike and she even began to tear up. She cares for him so much. Thank you Jesus. I prayed that He would be with Mike in the procedure and provide incredible care as if it was me in there with him. He answered.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grateful for the GI doc and the encouragement from the GI nurse.

Still praying.

-Lisa

lynn / kev said...

Yes, very grateful for the good care he's getting. We're still praying and we won't quit. Love, Lynnette & the CG xoxox (miss ya)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Mike is being well cared for. Sounds like this doctor will do everything she can to keep Mike as a patient...boy what a Godsend that would be.

We are continuing to pray daily for you all!
Love,
Your family at the 623 AOC/23 AF

Anonymous said...

Deanna,
THANK YOU for your showing your faith to so many of us!!! I'm so proud of Elizabeth too!!! Love, Gini