Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rain

Just a quick up date for today. Mike had a better night last night. He was up until about 3:30 or so and then he went to sleep until 8:30. He was up until about noon and then after a good suctioning, went to sleep and is still sleeping. I have to admit the quiet time is wonderful and have been able to dose in a chair until the head bob wakes me up. I also had to admit that I was begging Mike to go to sleep last night so I could sleep. He kept wanting me to hold his hand and who am I to turn that request down?

The doctor came by and I told her we are almost there with the pain management. But she is quick to remind me that it will take more and more as he becomes tolerant to the pain medicines. But in the same breath, the more pain medication the more chance of respiratory suppression. Mike's left arm is swelling most likely due to a blood clot with the PICC line. The PICC line is still working and we may try a small dose of medicine to bust the clot, but there is not much to do about it. That is because Mike has a heparin allergy and using blood thinners might (especially in his case) cause bleeding in the brain. The doctor and I briefly talked about if the pain becomes settled, what is the long term plan. While I don't think 12 hours of pain management means we have things under control, I do understand what she is talking about. Honestly, I have explored a few options with no clear vision. I am just going to keep praying.

I had another wonderful man stop by today. Actually three, one brought lunch, one brought tea, and one brought prayer. Not bad huh? Craig Nedrow stopped by. He is founder of "Stand Up 4 Jesus" (su4j.net) and said Mike is going on a huge prayer list that goes around the world. Everyone knows I am such a visual person, but this picture came to mind when he said that. Mike is hanging over the edge of a cliff and he is holding on to a rope. On top of that cliff, is the other end of that rope. Elizabeth and I are holding on. Then my family. Then friends. Then strangers and everyone is screaming in unison, " Pull! Pull!" But really the pulling is praying. And more and more people and joining and we are doing everything we can to defeat this battle, knowing that God is in control. Maybe a better picture would be like Mike is a balloon floating up towards God. Because he is definitely not headed for an endless abyss! But thank you for holding on with us. For praying. For loving us.

Tonight, I am leaving the hospital while Wendy is going to stay her. Elizabeth has her last basketball game tonight at 8 pm. Finally, I want to leave everyone with this:

I can count a million times people asking me how I can praise You with all that I've gone through. The question just amazes me. Can circumstances possibly change who I forever am in You? Maybe since my life was changed long before these rainy days it's never really ever crossed my mind to turn my back on you, oh Lord. My only shelter from the storm. But instead I draw closer through these times. So I pray bring me joy, bring me peace, bring the chance to be free, bring me anything that brings You glory. And I know there'll be days when this life brings me pain, but if that's what it takes to praise You Jesus, bring the rain.
I am Yours regardless of the dark clouds that may loom above. Because You are much greater than my pain. You who made a way for me by suffering Your destiny. So tell me what's a little rain. Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty.


Prayer needs:
Mike's healing - arm, cancer, breathing, organs, talking, walking
Medical wisdom from God
Direction on a plan for Mike and his care
Sleep... Sleep... Sleep

Praise:
Mercy Me and the song "Bring Me Rain"
Kathy and Evelyn for everything they did
Minnie for flying in to help
Wendy for moving in
Text messaging... love it...
One more day

10 comments:

lynn / kev said...

Thanks for the update, Deanna, especially what you said at the end. Reminds me of one of the songs the kids sing in Sunday school, if we don't praise Him the rocks will! :) I'm so proud of you and your testimony. God is using this blog, no doubt. We're praying and we won't quit. Love to you, Mike & Elizabeth. I hope her team wins the game! Lynnette
PS. We have store night tonight with the Sparkies. Wish you were here!

Anonymous said...

Always glad to get your updates and that Mike was able to get some sleep. I hope you will be able to get some rest too.

Continuing to think of you all all day and keeping you in our prayers!

God bless,
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Love reading about your love story!!! :):) Gini

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but a stranger in CT is praying for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm still praying for you. Love the song you picked. It's great.

Stephanie Brentwood

Anonymous said...

Hey Friend, Love you so much....my heart breaks, and tears come to my eyes at the thought of God and His loving hands and arms wrapped around Mike. God will not let go, and He is the one sustaining Mike. Oh how much God loves each one of us....
In His hand and holding on Tightly as well
Love
Sherry

Anonymous said...

We pray for Mike you and Elizabeth every day. Last knight at my Knights of Columbus meet, I asked for all my brothers to pray for Mike.

Yours in Christ,
Hal Griffin

Unknown said...

Deanna,
Last night, during adoration at our church, I continually had the picture of a bright light emanating and pouring out from Mike's stomach. It brought such a quiet peace to me, as I was on my knees in prayer. I know that our merciful Lord is right there with Mike every second of the day.

Anonymous said...

Praising God for you, lifting all three of you into his arms with daily prayers. Hugs, Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Dear Deanna, There's always hope. You and Mike are great examples of a fighting spirit in the face of adversity! May we all live in order to see the Lord reign in our lives. Also, may those we love, who do not know the Lord, realize that the day of judgment is coming and join the Lord's side before it is too late. Love, Pam C. (Tucson)