Monday, March 2, 2009

No Chemo this Week - More Blood

It has been another long day, but let's start off with praises. Someone out there wants to know what our average bills are on the house and what we paid in insurance. Whether or not, this is the people that God intends to buy our house, I don't know. But, it is a praise that someone is at least asking questions and taking a second and third look at the house.

We went to the doctor at 8:15 this morning and got home at around 3:00. We saw another Dr in the practice since Doctor Khan is away. The first thing they did was order a stat ultrasound on Mike's liver. The Billirubin keeps going up. They also ordered more labs. They are concerned that there might be a blockage in the bile duct. I am not worried about that for some reason. What is funny, is the Dr. Risvivi wanted to feel around Mike's stomach. He is pressing on it and I am watching his face. His eye brows started crinkling and he felt around. It was kinda of like he was thinking, "hum.. I expected to feel something" like he was surprised at how his belly felt. Anyway, he said everything feels soft and good. Dr. Risvivi ordered a blood transfusion. Mike's numbers at at 8.0 (Mike thinks they are lower). So one of the stops today was the hospital. We signed in and they drew the blood for the cross and type match. We then go back tomorrow at 8:00 am to do the transfusion as an outpatient in the day surgery. We then went back to the chemo room for fluids, nausea medication, and to change the needle in his port. We started the fluids and then they had a opening for the ultrasound. So we stopped the fluids, went and did the ultrasound of his abdomen (mostly liver) and then went back and finished the fluids. What I wasn't prepared for was the pain of the ultrasound. I didn't think about it at the time, but they use that wand and press around to get new the pictures, and it is painful for Mike. It really wiped him out. We finished our day with an adjustment at Dr. Bo's.

We came home and Mike is now in bed sleeping. He is done.

Here is the cool thing about today. We are really developing relationships with the staff at McKinney Medical Center. The lady at the registration registered us very quickly and kind of scooted us out of that aspect very quickly. Then we had to draw blood and the lady remembered us as well. She was so gracious and nice. She then took us to day surgery to have the nurses there draw Mike's blood from his port. (We elect to use the port as much as possible so not to get stuck more than necessary). We walk into day surgery and the whole nurses station lights up with smiles and hellos. It is very comforting. In fact when we are done, one of our favorites tracked us down in the hall and gave Mike and hug. She said that she is praying for us all the time. So we are going in tomorrow and I think I will take donuts or something. They will never know how much easier it makes it when you know that they truly care - beyond what they are trained for I think in this situation.

Now I will let you in on something. This is all Mike. He handles himself with such humility, graciousness, and is so appreciative. I know I have blogged about this before. I can't seem to put it in words, but to walk through this adversity and not complain, say thank you, and glorify Jesus is a great testimony. Do you know I caught him today in the corner, laying his hands on his belly and praying before the ultrasound? I love this man...

Prayer needs:
Sanctification of the blood Mike will receive tomorrow
Mike to eat and drink more
Positive results from the ultrasound
Our house in FL to sell
Elizabeth and her first state testing tomorrow
Financial Wisdom

Praise:
Medical Care
Nurses
Home!
Marsha and Faith

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You all continue to amaze me. I told my group this morning how you say "we've been able to have yet one more day together" despite all your adversities. They were quite impressed. Just know people in Albuquerque continue to pray for you. I was very excited that some people are asking more questions about your FL house! Love, Gini

Lisa said...

I've been gone for a few days and have been excited to get back to read what had happened in your lives during that time. I know this is a rough journey, and I also know God is doing things. I don't want to miss a thing!

I am so thankful that God keeps demonstrating to you that He is Jehovah Jireh and that He is always right on time! I don't know why it is He demonstrates that to us so faithfully and yet the human tendency is to drift into worry and anxiety. You'd think we'd learn! But being anxious for nothing is not always so easy.

I am proud of you and am still praying for you!

-Lisa