Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Beautiful day in Texas

Mike posting tonight.

Yesterday we spent the whole day doing medical appointments. We showed early at the hospital out-patient surgery after picking up donuts for the fantastic staff who always go above and beyond to take great care of me. Then I got hooked up for my two units of blood, which took us into the afternoon. After that, we had to go over to the clinic to get the blood level checked, and praise God, the two units was sufficient to raise me up to a safe level. I was fearful that 2 units would not be enough since last time, when a similar level increase required 4 units. But this time at least, two were sufficient. I learned that each pouch of IV blood comes from one individual donor, known to me only as a long string of letters and numbers in an ID code stamped on the sticker. Even though I can't thank them personally, I always pray that the donor of each pouch would receive a special blessing from God for what they have donated to me. I started to feel a little better that evening, and feel a lot better today.

We received a letter from DFAS (the people who do all military pay) explaining how they calculated our retired pay. This was kind of a loose end since I had calculated a slightly higher number. But after reviewing the letter, it appeared to have been properly done. One pleasant surprise is that we are getting a benefit we were previously advised that we weren't qualified for. I'm doing some checking to make sure we are truly entitled to it and that there is no mistake--so it's not time to celebrate yet--but if we get this benefit it will loosen the financial pressure considerably. This may be another big blessing!

Had to also talk to DFAS to restore our insurance premium allotment, which disappeared for some reason when we retired.

Since I had better strength today, and since we had no medical appointments, I made it to two Elizabeth events. First, we had lunch with her at school. Momma does this about once a week, but it was the first time for me. Loved it! And second, went to the middle school orientation meeting at Fabian, where she will attend next year. Didn't really learn anything new here, but at least got to see the faces of some of the staff. Elizabeth wants to do band as her elective. Her other choices were drama/art, orchestra. I would have preferred the drama/art, but Momma supports this decision, saying that she should get to choose this herself. Since she has no interest in becoming a musician, I think the public speaking aspects of drama/art would be a better use of her time, but I'll give in on this so I am not the mean old ogre.

Also received a nice call from Opie today--always appreciated.

Deanna just reminded me that today is the 6th month anniversary of my dire initial diagnosis. For 6 months, the support of the Lewis clan has been phenomenal. Their prayers and giving of time and money and other resources has humbled me to silence and tears. My latest gift came from Madissen today at lunch. As she always does, she immediately ran over and gave me a great big hug. No funny looks at my anti-germ surgical mask, no hesitation, just unconditional love. I have so little to offer in return, only a sincere prayer that Yeshua will bless them as only He can.

By the grace of Yeshua, and by the support and prayers of all of you saints out there, I am still alive. I can kiss my wife, hug my daughter, and pat the dog for another day. Thank you, thank you, thank you--I can't say it enough.

-Mike

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Band/music builds mathematic skills and eye-hand coordination. Also, band students are traditionally some of the most intelligent, driven, and broadly gifted students in any given school, plus they are too busy to get into trouble. Even if she doesn't become a musician, learning to read, play, and appreciate music will be a lifelong benefit for Elizabeth.

Note also that I have a daughter at LSU on a BAND scholarship...but she isn't studying music. Let me assure you that all those years of band are quite worth it from where I'm sitting now!

Glad you're feeling a bit better. And praying for the day you feel all the way better!

-Lisa

lynn / kev said...

Yes, band is a good choice (Kevin was in the band and LOVED it). So good to read your blog and share in your Praise to the LORD for all His wonderful blessings. Especially life and the love of a wonderful family. We feel like family too, Mike, and pray for you every day and just whenever we think of you (which is often). We're so thankful to God for putting us in your path. We love you! Praying blessings, health, happiness and every good and perfect thing which comes down from the Father of Lights, to Him be the glory forever, Amen! Love, Lynnette

Anonymous said...

Mike, I'm always so blessed by your blogs and just hearing directly from you warms my heart. I have to chuckle about the band/drama thing. I think we, as imperfect parents, always want our kids to do what interests us. (Personaly I think Elizabeths decision to go with music is the better of the two, but that's what I like.) I'll be interested to find out what kind of instrument she chooses.
I pray you're still feeling good and continue to pray for healing and I also praise God for letting His light shine through the Phillips' family. Love,Shirley

Anonymous said...

Mike and Deanna, this is Mark and Claudia Russell from "good ol' D-M days". I recently learned of your situation and I would really like to talk with you (if you are okay with that). As you recall I retired from the AF, moved to NE Ohio and am now president of an armor company. While traveling I ran into some folks from D-M last Friday who let me know. I sure wish you the best and please know that you are all in our thoughts. Best personal regards, Mark and Claudia Russell