Friday, March 13, 2009

Monkey Boy goes to the Movies

Today is Friday and we started off the day as we usually do - at the Cancer Center. We did our daily CBC and got the good news that Mike's numbers are holding (WBC and RBC) and we don't have to go back until Monday morning. Two weekends in a row!

We were blessed by a visit from Pierre and Joshua this afternoon and then I picked up Elizabeth from school. We then decided to kick off Spring Break by hitting a matinee movie - Escape to Witch Mountain. Mike decided to go too! It is his first movie since we were in Florida back in September. So Mike put on his mask (monkey boy) and we went together as a family.

You know, it may seem like an insignificant event but it really is a big deal to Elizabeth and I. Anytime we get a moment when we can go and do things as a family is like opening presents on Christmas. Something you have wanted for so long and finally got.

Well, Spring Break is finally here. Elizabeth is staying up late tonight and is so excited. We have one goal for next week - Dallas World Aquarium. Most everyone around here is going somewhere like San Antonio. I have to wonder if we will ever get to the point where we can go somewhere again as a family. Right now, it is a privilege and a blessing to be helping others out as they go away for a few days. It is nice to be able to repay the kindness we have been given.

Finances-- UGH! We found out today that the money we have been getting from the VA and the AF is messed up. We have been getting concurrent receipt which means we have been getting our AF retirement plus the VA benefit. However, you can only get concurrent receipt if you have spent 20 years on active duty. As everyone knows, we were medically retired 7 months short. So the VA payment is subtracted from the AF Retirement. So if our retirment was $10 a month and our VA benefit was $5, on concurrent receipt we would get paid $15 a month. But in our case, we get paid $10 a month - $5 from the AF and $5 from the VA. Now there is a silver lining. The VA payement is not taxed. So your taxable income is less. (This is your retirement lesson of the day. By the way, you have to be over 30% disabled -I think- when you retire to qualify concurrent reciept)

So as of right now, we owe the government $9,000. We still don't know how we will be required to pay that back, but we will at some point. I guess I had hoped that because Mike was 100% disabled, there was some loop hole or provision. But that is not the case. It is so frustrating right now. I would NEVER recommend anyone doing what we did as far as retiring from the Air Force. Everyone bent over backwards for us and I don't regret any decisions that were made - like extending the retirement date. All those decisions were right. However, the paperwork system is not as flexible and it is now starting to catch up. Honestly, I can't even imagine the work and headaches that we caused for everyone at the 623rd, Col Fowler, Cynthia, and Col Wiegand. So if you are reading this right now, thank you again for everything. Thank you.

So as the weeks go by, the writing is on the wall and I will need to figure out how to go back to work in between all the doctors appointments and Mike's care. He is getting somewhat stronger, so God willing, it will be ok. I also plan on writing Congress about the law of concurrent receipt. It makes no sense to me. If given the choice, we would have stayed in the AF. I think in any situation where someone is medically retired due to illness that concurrent receipt should apply. Hopefully, the law can be changed so that the next person in a situation like ours can benefit.

Prayer needs:
Our house in FL to sell and to for us to at least break even. The person that was asking the questions a last week has faded into the sunset. So we are anxiously awaiting God's new buyer!
Mike to develop a hunger
Mike to drink more
Mike's billirubin to decrease- he is getting yellow again
Spring Break - please pray for amazing family time
Financial wisdom
The CT Scan next week - miraculous results
Cancer - that it will go away

Praise:
Psalm 91 - we cling to His Word and His promise of healing
Movies
Mike's strength to go to the movies and climb the ladder to change a light bulb
Spring Break
Rain!
Insurance
Retirement Check - even though we wish it could be more, we are still getting it!
SGLI - we were approved for a 2 year extension with no premiums.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your Monkey boy's stories! It's comforting to know that you have a sense of humor in this turmoil you are going through. We are gearing up for Relay for Life and designing the team T-shirt in Mike's honor. We are going to talk about his journey on the team website; I already put him on my personal page.

I hope that Mike will be able to enjoy some family time since Elizabeth is off of school this week. I'm sure that will mean so much to you all.

I'm very relieved to read things seem to be going well with Mike's treatment. I know the paperwork aspect is a huge pain, but they wouldn't be the government without it (LOL).

We all continue to pray and check your progress every day. Please post and let us know how your mom is doing.

God bless you all,
Cynthia

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I visit the blog often and you guys have been in my prayers for months, I'm sure the prayers reach further than you know.

Here is a story if you need a good laugh. Little miss Hunter will be 3 in May and the poor child has much momma in her.

She wanted me to draw an apple; I did. She wanted me to draw a face on it; I did. She wanted feet...and arms...I drew them. Then I started drawing hair when she snatched the paper from me and said, "Apples don't have hair!". Then she hands me a new paper and tells me "Do it right!". Kids!

I pray you receive everything that you need, all of you. Please let me know if I can be of any help, I am in Biloxi now.

SSgt Nicole Fredrikson
nfredrikson@gmail.com