Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Why I need this man

Here is a funny story that happened today. Mike is still in the "Chemo Fog". While in this fog, Mike sleeps a lot, grunts when I ask him the "Are you Ok" question, throws up, and in general doesn't interact. So winter has hit again. Sometime in the middle of the night, it went from 80 degrees to 40 windy and rainy. It was so miserable this morning that the dog wouldn't go outside.

So we drop Elizabeth off at school and then drive to the Dr's for our daily blood count. Mike's blood count is holding steady at 11.3 and his WBC is up due to the shot yesterday. We are good to go. We get in the car and Mike assumes his position - seat belt on, bucket in lap, and head laying on the rim of the bucket. The car is on and it is steaming up. I turn on the defrost and the front windows are good to go. I backing up out of the parking lot, all the time whining to out loud about the foggy back windows. I am really talking to myself because Mike is out of it. So I am done backing out and still talking to myself about the cold weather, the foggy windows, and the rain when Mike pops his up. He then reaches over and turns on the rear de-fogging system button and puts his head right down. He doesn't say a word.

All I could do was laugh and smile. It never occurred to me to to turn on the rear defrost. That was such a Mike moment. Listen to the problem at hand. Evaluate the situation. I have no doubt he went through some sort of mental checklist. Make a decision and act. Then go back to what he was doing.

I need this man to be around for a long time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, you need your man! Well done Mike!!! Gini

Anonymous said...

smiling and praying....Roxanne :)

lynn / kev said...

Amen. Thanks for sharing that. Mike, you're such a trooper. Praise God! Love ya, Lynnette

The Chalmers said...

LOL!! Those are definitly the moments to keep in your 'back pocket'.