Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Oops I did it again!

Well, I did it. I made plans for the week of Spring Break. Or at least mental plans and then I am reminded of that "C" word.

Yesterday, Mike has his weekly Doctor appointment. Mike's WBC was really low. Too low to do Chemo. Dr. Khan also wanted to get a CT Scan so everything got postponed. Mike's RBC count was down to 9.8. Not too bad, but it has been dropping again. Anyway, we were released and I thought we would get the week off. Elizabeth is on Spring Break so I started thinking and making plans. I want to go to the Dallas Arboretum and we all want to see the King Tut Exhibit that is in Dallas right now.

However, we went in for our daily CBC and Mike's WBC count was up and Dr. Khan wanted to hit the cancer again with Chemo. Mikes' RBC was down even further to 9.2 and we all know that probably by the end of this week or early next week, Mike will be getting another transfusion. Of course, God could change that, but the Chemo is extremely hard on Mike's red blood cells. So the transfusions are kind of par for the course. There is a shot out there to increase RBC production. However, Khan has steered clear of it in Mike's case because there are some studies that have shown that it can increase cancer cell production. Both Mike and I were hesitate to do Chemo. Me for selfish reasons. Mike because he was so tired. In the end, we decided to go forth because we were afraid that his RBC count would delay the next round of Chemo. It is really important that you hit the cancer hard because you do not want the cells to mutate or adapt to the chemo and then become resistant. It is kind of the same principle of taking antibiotics too often.

So, I had to admit, I shed some tears. I was mad at myself, but I really hate cancer. I hate looking at pictures from 8 months ago and wondering what happened? I just want some normal things. Most of all, I want Mike to beat this disease.

I had to go home and get some stuff for the Chemo, most importantly the pain patch for Mike. I was glad to be alone in the car and do you know what? In my pity, God spoke to me and put a song in my head. I don't' know the name of the song or the author, but this is what played over and over in my head "Savior, He can move the mountains, My God is mighty to save He is mighty to save " ( I am singing it for you right now!) He also reminded me that I prayed hard for Mike last night and this morning and asked Him to heal Mike's pain. It occurred to me this could be the answer. The Chemo back to back might in the end, be a good thing. So sometimes I have to remind myself to keep walking in Faith.

Prayer Needs:
Mike - that the Chemo will do it's job and kill the cancer and nothing else
Mike to develop a hunger for food
For the pain in Mike's esophagus to stop
Mike to drink more
Our House in FL to sell in God's timing at the right price to the right person
Me - to keep the Faith and that God will give me medical wisdom and financial wisdom

Praise:
God is still here and still very much involved
That I can sing to you over the blog :)... (And Everyone said AMEN!)
Beautiful weather
Aunt Amy and Aunt Nancie for their help this week
Insurance - by the way, we met the cap this week (only took 45 days) ... no more co pays until October...

4 comments:

Lisa said...

It's understandable to hate cancer. It's from the pit, a corruption of what God created to operate in the perfection of Eden.

And it has been defeated by the death and resurrectio of Jesus!

I am still praying for the day that its defeat is made manifest in Mike's body. I am still looking forward to the day we celebrate the most excellent report a doctor can give!

Hang in there, Deanna. You have a tough, tough role in all this. You are walking this path with dignity and grace, and I'm proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Deanna - Mighty to Save - performed in this video by Hillsong:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08YZF87OBQ

Anonymous said...

Praying with you always, singing with you now as well. Psalm 57 (specifically verse 7;-).

xo, kathleen

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike, Deanna, and Elizabeth, Continued prayers for all of you as you walk this difficult road. May God reward you all for your neverending faithfullness to Him. Love, Aunt Mary