Thursday, March 5, 2009

LOL and Retirement Lesson #1

I love it!!! The posts are cracking me up from yesterday. I have enjoyed reading them to Mike so much. The music debate has gone on in our house. I have argued that Elizabeth has wanted to play the Oboe since last year at this time. A band came to play at her school and she was hooked. Plus she has been told it is the hardest instrument to learn. I personally was never into band. I played the piano for 5 years, but that didn't go too well. In fact I remember a significant beating that happened after I refused to get out of the back of the station wagon to go to piano. I deserved the beating because I was disrespectful to Mom (sorry!) but I would have rather been outside playing anytime.

Mike, on the other hand, was gifted in Music. His whole family is for that matter. In fact, I will let you in on a secret. Mike actually got a scholarship to play Viola at Oberlin College in Ohio. It was a partial scholarship so it wasn't enough to make him choose that route. But he did have musical talent at one point.

Anyway, my argument- let her choose something she wants. 6th grade is the time to experiment and try to develop your passions. So thank you to our blogging "village" for agreeing with me!!!

Mark, please contact us via email - deanna.phillips@att.net - and I will give you all our contact information.

Today- has been great again. Mike's white blood cell count was down, but he got a shot and we were out of the office by 9:00 am with energy. We went to Town Lake again and I pushed Mike around the lake. It is 1.2 miles and it is just nice. There are trees, fountains, ducks, and turtles. Mike got a little cold due to the wind, but I love spending time with him. Then I left him in the car while I got a hair cut. He is so good. He didn't complain at all. He actually reclined the seat, opened the windows, and slept.

I did get to look at the ultrasound report today. PRAISE NEWS - No blockage in the ducts of the liver. I knew that from the beginning somehow (God..).

RETIREMENT LESSONS LEARNED:

Anytime we learn anytime that can help our friends in years to come in regards to retirement, I will post it under this heading.

Tricare Prime - as many of you know, you can select Tricare Prime or Standard when you retire. We chose Tricare Prime due to Mike's cancer to eliminate the unexpected out of pocket expenses. We have been blessed without the out of pocket for so long that it is hard to get your head around - $12 co-pays, $30 for outpatient, $9 for prescriptions, $3 for prescriptions etc. Honestly, in our boat, we need to budget each month for those. One week, we paid $150 out of pocket between Elizabeth, Mike and I. Well, we just got a bill for Mike's TPN, his IV food for $421. I was a little shocked. So as an FYI for anyone out there, Durable Medical Equipment and PEN (TPN) work a little different. You have to pay 20% of Tricare Approved Charges. Needless to say, we are meeting the $3000 catastrophic cap pretty quickly. Also, the cap runs Oct to Oct (military fiscal year). So we will be paying $6000 plus $400 (Tricare Enrollment) fee this year for medical expenses.

I don't want people to misunderstand me. I am by NO MEANS complaining. We are so blessed to have Medical Insurance and Mike is still here so it is worth every dime. I just want to pass on our life lessons so that it may help someone else in the future. Knowing you could pay $6500 the first year of retirement (depending on your retirement date and your health), could be important to know.

Prayer Needs:
Our House in FL to sell and for us to break even
Mike to develop a hunger
Mike to drink more
Financial Wisdom
God to continue strengthening Mike and defeating cancer


Praises:
Beautiful Weather
Parks
Medical Insurance
Cards that keep flowing in - Thanks Rhonda
One more day together as a family

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, friends! I also LOVE music and know what wonderful benefits it has. BUT...I also got to see first hand last summer that Elizabeth is a quite the little actress! If I can recall, she was elated to get a part in 'Robinhood." So, I hope she doesn't rule out acting! You got my vote, Mike. :)

May you all have a beautiful night. Praying for you daily, Roxanne and family

Anonymous said...

First off I wanted to let you know that I was thinking how much you all LIVE out what I read in my devotions this morning...2Thessalonians 2:16-17..."May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word."
You two ARE doing good in word and deed despite this great battle. I know I tell you this over and over but that is VERY impressive.
Secondly... since every one is talking about it!...Elizabeth might turn out like Eileen...band in middle school and then BIG into drama in high school. It's very hard to do both in HS!! Love you guys! Gini

lynn / kev said...

I agree, let Elizabeth go for the oboe now, and if she finds it's not really her passion, then she moves to drama. I remember she is quite the natural at drama. Deanna, you told me one time you thought she'd grow up to be an actress! Do you remember that? :) Blessings, Lynnette

Anonymous said...

Marvie here ...With being new to the computer, I was unable to locate you these last few days or so; I was lost (in more ways than one!) but now I've found you!! Eew! Anyway, glad to see and hear that things are looking up for you these days... When I was Elizabeth's age, I thought I'd make an excellent singer, actor, and dancer! Well, I got close with cheerleading!! and playing piano, for goodness sakes!! So my vote is with encouraging both the oboe and drama, that is if scheduling allows for it. Go Elizabeth! (I think it was probably my Jim that told you about the oboe being the most difficult instrument to play - mostly because it's a double reed instrument, I believe.) Know that our prayers and kind regards are with each of you - every day! M&J