Friday, October 3, 2008

Never give up on me

We received some great inspiration in the mail the last few days. I want to start off by thanking Rhonda and Mary for the packages. Rhonda's package ministered to my heart and Mary's to my physical body. I also want to thank Bruce and Donna for the cards. Rhonda sent a CD with Christian songs and we now have a song to play every morning to go with our reading of Psalm 91. The song is "I am counting on God". The words are:

I'm in a fight not physical. I'm in a war, but not with this world. You are the light that's beautiful. I want more. I want all that's yours. (Chorus) Joy unspeakable that won't go away. Just enough strength to live for today. So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring cause my faith is on solid rock. I am counting on God.

It is really upbeat and words that are so to the heart of our struggle right now. We have Joy that is unspeakable but just enough strength to live for today. EVERY morning, we say, "This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it." EVERY day is a victory and a gift. It was before Mike has cancer, we just forgot to notice.

So, today we have been here 4 weeks. One month... This week for Mike has been the same really. He is still weak and tired. But his body is fighting so hard. He does struggle to find a good sleeping position. Right now he is asleep on a chair, kind of. He sits in the chair and stacks 3 pillows on the ottoman. He then leans forward and falls asleep that way for a little bit. I think it helps with the pain in his stomach. Mike has pain in his stomach most of the time. He has been ranking it anywhere for 3 to 5 on the pain scale of 10. He has to be the best patient and the most frustrating. He doesn't complain and yet at the same time, he doesn't verbalize what is going on. We are getting better at asking him questions. Again, this may be more information that you want to know. However, I need to give you an accurate picture of Mike so in the end you can see how strong and mighty God is. In the end, this battle is His and His alone.

One of the most encouraging things about this blog is the amount of people praying for us. We covet your prayers. They really cover us and wrap us tightly. Thank you so much and please continue to pray. This is a long journey that Mike and I alone can not fight. That I know for sure. We need everyone to continue in this battle with us with your prayers. But I want to take a moment and ask everyone that is praying for us to add some special people we have met to your prayer list.

Liddy and Nacho: Nacho has melanoma that has met into his bones. He is 40 years old and an engineer. He has 3 kids and a wife that loves him very much. He is really struggling right now and has had some bad detox reactions (bad headaches and stomach aches too). In fact, he has stopped the IV therapy for the weekend.

Beth and Ed: Beth is this amazing women with Stage 4 Ovarian cancer. She is about 60 years old and has 2 children and 3 grandkids. She is this gentle, southern belle with an amazing zeal for life. She is constantly smiling and checking on us. When Mike drinks water, she says, "Good Mike. Keep it up." She had to be a cheerleader at one point. I just want to be in her presence. When she is around, it is like having your mother taking care of you when you have the flu.

Teri's Dad: He has stage 2B Lung Cancer. He is not here. He has elected to have surgery on Monday in PA. The will be removing part of his lung, 3 ribs, tissue and muscle. It is a hard surgery. Please lift him and his family up.

Yesterday, Mike's IV therapy went all day - 9:30 am - 4:00 pm. He had some issues with the vitamin IV they were giving him. It burned and made his arm hurt. He only managed to get about 1/2 of it in. (He says he is not doing it anymore). Then his Vitamin C IV ran slow. It ended up that Beth, Nacho and Mike were doing IV therapy in the afternoon. Liddy showed up and we all sat in the room talking. Well, it was mostly Beth, Liddy and I. Occasionally Nacho would pop in with something. He usually lays in a corner with sunglasses on. You think he is asleep until he says something. Mike was whipped, so he would just smile and nod when I said something. It was so encouraging and one of those memories I will remember the rest of my life. Not really because what was said, but because of the energy (not doubt from God) in the room. Everyone shared stories of their journey and how God is moving. We talked about the treatments. We talked about the science of cancer. Beth reminded me that cancer has 2 sodium receptacles and 23 glucose receptacles. She talked about how when she was doing chemotherapy they would have dunkin donuts for the cancer patients to eat. That is messed up. Nutrition is key.

In the end, this blog is all over the place tonight. I guess the theme of it tonight is never give up. Never give up on Mike. Never give up seeking the truth about anything. Beth and Nacho have not given up. Nacho flew from Mexico. He called Bill and Bill told him to seek treatment with one of his partners in CA. However, he wanted Bill himself. Beth clearly has not given up and continues to fight with a smile. Finally and most importantly, never give up on God. Count of Him. The bible says, "He will never leave you or forsake you!"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Igor, Deanna, Elizabeth,

From Numbers 6:24...sort of in my words...My favaorite prayer:

May the Lord bless you and keep you,
May His face shine upon you and be gracious too you,
May He smile on you and give you his peace.

I can't say it any better than that.

You are in our thoughts and in our prayers.

Fancy Nanc said...

Deanna,Mike, and Elizabeth,
Last night as I was reading the scriptures, the Lord specifically impressed on my heart the need to send some specific ones to you.
"The poor and the needy search for water, but there is none. But I the Lord will answer them. I the God of Israel will not forsake them. I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs. I will put in the desert the cedar and acai, the myrtle and the olive. I will set pines in the wasteland, and the fir and the cypress together, so that people may see and know, may consider and understand, that the hand of the Lord has done this: that the Holy One of Israel has created it.Is. 41:17-20.
Be encouraged sweet sister and Mike continue the good fight. The Lord IS in your corner and I believe He will do miraculous things. I love you all so much....know that as I send this prayers are going up for you too.
Nancie

Fancy Nanc said...

Deanna,
A Psalm for you as you walk this journey....
I will lift up my eyes to the hills from which comes my help,
My help comes from the Lord,
The Maker of Heaven and Earth.
He said He would not let your foot slip,
The Lord which keepeth thee,
He will not slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is my keeper, The Lord is my shade, upon my right hand.
The sun shall not harm me by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm
and He will watch over your life.
The Lord will watch over your coming and going,
both now and forever more.
Psalm 121
I will be sending you a CD that has that message on it. It really encourages me on the toughest days which don't even begin to compare to yours. May God give you supernatural strength as we all pray for healing.
I love you....hug Elizabeth for me.
Nancie

Anonymous said...

Mike, Deanna,and Elizabeth,

You are never far from our thoughts and prayers each day. I have not blogged anything up until now not because I have not wanted to but because so many others were saying the things I felt. But tonight I wanted to respond to your comment about never giving up. This is one of my favorite quotes because it answers God's faithfulness to us. I will trust when I can not see or understand why these things are happening. I will trust when it is hard. I will trust when I am tired. I will trust because that is all God ever asked of me. I will trust with you through this journey.

We will see you very soon.

Dena

CihakClan said...

Mike, Deanna and Elizabeth,

The three of you are in my daily prayers!

I, along with Kirk Karver(K2), Bill Dries(Yeti), Joe Pedone(P-don), Mike Miller(Bel-dar), Matt Heikkinen(Skids), and Marc Cherry stationed here in Southwest Asia are blessed to be able to keep up on your amazing journey and we wait for the day when we can once again be in your presence. As you can imagine, the base computer-network firewall prevents us from viewing your blog directly, so we rely on Patti to provide us with e-mail updates (copy and pasted from the blog).

As I read through your comments dated 25 Sep, I couldn’t help but think about the funny little “Priceless” MasterCard commercials. So I thought I put together one for the three of you.

The price of God’s saving (and healing) grace…free

The price of a Falconer CAOC…$58 million

The price of a B-1B bomber…$283 million

The price of Mike, Deanna and Elizabeth’s testimony of God’s power, providence, and peace…PRICELESS!

Thank you for your PRICELESS testimony!

In prayer,

Tony

Anonymous said...

Deanna and Mike,
Your faithfulness to God is an encouragement to me. Thank you for taking the time and spending the energy to blog this journey that God is taking you through. All three of you are amazing to see in action, constantly glorifying God. Know that there are many mighty prayer warriors here praying for you.
Love You Guys
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Deanna and Mike,
When I read your email this morning, I was reminded of my own struggle to live and how I still have to fight each day to stay healthy. Yesterday was a tough day. My lymph nodes were swollen and it felt like someone was choking me all day long. My close friends and family have become so used to me having those tough days…that many times they overlook my continued struggle. I used to lie in bed all day supporting my neck using heat and other natural products trying to get some relief from the pressure in my throat and neck; however I quickly realized that life was passing me by, so I decided when I have those days, I would surround myself with things that my me happy and live that day as if it were my last. Yesterday I spent the whole day with Erin my daughter and my nieces and nephews- ranging in ages of 2 years old to 21, Christmas shopping, eating and laughing a lot. By then end of the day I was so tired I could hardly make it up the stairs to go to bed. When I woke up this morning, I was still too tired to get up and get ready for church so I played hooky. Around 10 AM I got up went down stairs feeling guilty for not getting up and going to church, I decided to sit down and catch up on your blog…that is when I read the blog you posted on Friday. God began to speak to me in a real and personal way. I realized that God needed to spend time one on one with me to remind me of His unconditional love. As the day progressed, I felt God asking me to share some of my personal struggles in getting well with you and Mike.

When the doctors found the second set of tumors, I was devastated. Not only was I facing surgery that could leave me without the ability to speak (anyone that knows me understands how I love to talk…so this was devastating to me) but was also in a fight to live. When you are faced with death, it causes you to stop and face issues in your life that most never take the time to even think about let alone face. One night as I lay in my bathtub crying I begin to cry out to God and ask Him why He would let this happen to me. I loved people, was a giver, help feed and cloth kids around the world as well as in my neighborhood, cared for my mother and daughter as a single parent, and on and on I went. God in a quiet still voice spoke to me and said, Melissa the reason you are sick is because you have unforgiveness and bitterness in your heart. Even though you have accepted as your Lord and Savior, there is still unforgiveness and bitterness deeply seeded that has eaten away at your health…and because you have not released it to me, you are now facing a crisis. As I begin to weep I began to cry out to God asking him to reveal the things I had hidden in my heart and to give me the strength and courage to face them head on…so I could be whole again through Him. I remember warming up the water several times, praying and crying until I could let go of the pain and hurt I had carried for years that had become such a part of me that I no longer called it unforgiveness and bitterness. I looked up the meaning of cancer today and it said that Cancer is a class of diseases in which a group of cells display uncontrolled growth. The meaning of cancer has the same affect as unforgiveness and bitterness…left untreated it displays uncontrolled growth and affects all parts of your body- can even bring death.

I was doing great practicing forgiveness and not allowing myself to go to bed unless I had dealt with any bad feelings or unforgiveness. A year ago someone that we do business with did something that was very wrong and if it were not for God and the people he placed around us, it could have devastated our business. During that time, I prayed for the people that tried to hurt us and even prayed that God would bless them; however what I did not realize until today, deep down I had allowed them to steal some of my joy and happiness and replaced it with fear…not openly trusting others around me as I used to, until this morning.

I made a cup of coffee and was headed back to read the blog when I saw the candles my daughter had talked me into buying yesterday. I lite the candles and headed into my office to finish reading the blog. I love candles and have them in ever room. As I finished reading the blog and as the smell of the candles began to fill the room, I began to cry. I realized that this was the first time I had lit candles in over a year. Because of the hurt and pain and the horrible things that had been done to us, I had stopped doing some basic things that I love so much and disallowed myself to fully enjoy the blessings of God and to live each day at it fullest. I had allowed unforgiveness to creep back into my life, which had affected my health again. I am so thankful that you were willing to open yourself up and share with us what you are going through. I know through my willingness to be transparent, I have been able to share God’s love and faithfulness to people around the world. I have decided that over the next few days I am going to put together a devotional on forgiveness starting with Colossians 3- and read it over and over and ask God to please help me to never allow unforgiveness to creep back in- because I want to experience life at its fullest- enjoying all the blessing and joy God desires for me!

You are in my prayers and thoughts,
Melissa