Sunday, October 19, 2008

I closed the door on Mike in bed with another woman this weekend

I know that title got your attention.... keep reading and it will make sense!

Guess what? I have been claiming how much I trust God in this journey and do you know what has happened and what has been revealed to me this weekend? I have allowed fear to creep in and totally consume me. I have also allowed myself to believe I could do this on my own and I can't. It got to a point on Friday morning that I was so scared I called Melissa and told her I needed her to help make some decisions about Mike. I was so consumed by the fear that I could be losing him, that I allowed myself to look at him and think I was losing him. I needed someone that has been through this pit of fire to look at him.

So God took action for me through Melissa. She dropped everything and flew out here with Pierre. I had physically gotten to the point where I had this pain in my upper chest and yet I didn't put two and two together. When Melissa showed up, I felt like I melted in her arms. She admitted later that I looked worse than Mike. She came in and took over in a good way. She readily admits that Mike's biggest issue and biggest worry right now is not the cancer, but the lack of food and water. But we went shopping at Whole Foods and came up with a plan. I truly have allowed fear to paralyze any sense of decision making I have had. I couldn't think. Mike wants to eat fruit, but he should eat veggies. She reminded me, "what does it matter right now as long as he eats? He needs to eat organic foods but he needs to eat. " We are on a 10 bite a day rule. He is going to eat 10 bites a day for 3 days and then we are going to increase in to 15. She also made dinner for Elizabeth and I. I haven't cooked in over 6 weeks. The smell of food in this place was so good. We sat down to eat pasta, chicken, salad, asparagus, and garlic bread. It was the best meal. It felt like Thanksgiving and I even teared up. It just felt good to eat at the table.

Melissa and Pierre brought laughter. Melissa brought brilliant ideas. She went out with me and bought Mike and wheelchair, a barf bucket, ice pads, scented oils, etc. She shot straight with me. I was a little resistant to the wheel chair. I thought if we put Mike in a wheel chair it means he is sick (I know. No comments please.) But as she explained, he has so little energy why waste it on getting to and from the car? Why not use it to play a board game with Elizabeth or going down to the dock? That is the same idea behind the barf bucket. Why waste the energy getting to the toilet? The ice pads are for the stomach pain. Icing you stomach will help reduce swelling and reduce the pain. She bought lavender scented oil for Mike's room. Lavender relaxes you. She talked about living and she really helped us make some decisions that I will reveal later during the week.

I am embarrassed to admit, but Melissa seemed to know more what Mike needed than I did. She knew when to rub him, when to let him sleep, what would taste good to him, and when to push him. Mike went to bed to rest. He sits up in bed and then leans over on 3 king size pillow stacked up. Melissa went in and prayed for him and then opened the bible and started reading. I heard it and shut the door and walked in the kitchen. I looked at Pierre and said, "I just shut the door on my husband in bed with another woman." I laughed and so did Pierre. But in all honesty it wasn't that. It was a Christian ministering to another Christian. There was no boy, girl, black, white, short, tall... just one soul healing and speaking to another soul. THAT is God in Action.

So Melissa and Pierre have safely landed back in Dallas. I want to publicly thank both of their spouses, children, and all the friends and families that made this weekend happen. I don't know how God loves me so much to move mountains for me. Make no mistake, Melissa and Pierre coming was God moving mountains. Even down to the fact that there were no plane tickets on Friday night and they called American and two seats had just opened up. (Exactly two seats... God in action)

God has also acted for us at home. I understand that the 623rd has handled a home project for us over the weekend that we needed to have done. One of those projects we had postponed for the fall, because it is too hot and humid in the summer. Thank you.

Dena and Doug will be at Eglin tomorrow. Dena is picking up Mike's car and driving down here to help for a few days.

Please continue to pray for Mike and for Elizabeth and I. Mike has had a rough day. Until about 3:00 pm, Mike threw up whatever he took including water. However, God is good. Mike has a PICC line on Thursday so we did the IV's at the condo this weekend. They gave us saline too. So Mike got his Vitamin C drip and saline today. He seems to be resting well now and even kept some yogurt down. Praise God. There will be a lot of decisions this week. Some made by us and some made on behalf of us. Pray that all those decisions will be God's will for us.

I have three things I want to end with..

I found out this weekend that GIACT means God in Action Coming Together.

As Mike and I take some steps this week, I am going to blog them. Mostly because we have so many friends of all ranks that might be able to learn some things through this that will either help them or someone else at some point.

Finally, this was sent in an email and is a poem from Maya Angelou. It really spoke to me and I want to share it to give some insight into who I am


When I say… 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean livin,
'I'm whispering 'I was lost, now I'm found and forgiven.'

When I say… 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say… 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say… 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess…

When I say… 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say… 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain…
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say… 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner who received God's good grace, somehow!

4 comments:

Fancy Nanc said...

Amen sister!!!!!!!
I am so glad that Melissa and Pierre were such a big help. They are Jesus with skin on at the moment. I will be praying for you this week as you walk in His will for the next steps for you and Mike. You are loved adn prayed over. God is faithful and will help Mike regain his strength. I just know it.
Nancie

Anonymous said...

Prayers for Elizabeth, Mike and Indiana Phillips! Prayers for rest, strength, nourishment and fulfillment. All in Gods name. Amen
P.S. Impatiently waiting for a blog from Miss Elizabeth.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike, Deanna, and Elizabeth, I am so glad that Melissa and Pierre were able to visit you all and be such a positive and guiding force in your lives. I will agree that God was in on that plan. And I loved the Maya Angelou poem. I think I will put that up and read it every day. I miss you all and will continue to pray for you every day and ask that God continue to fill your needs even when you don't know what those needs are. He has a strange way of doing that, wouldn't you agree? He has put people into your lives to help you and He will continue to do that. Of that I am sure! My love to you all. Aunt Mary

Anonymous said...

Deanna, Mike and Elizabeth
This has been an amazing day..........amazying to watch Meliisa work her wonders, amazing to find friends out of the past that jump in to help with out asking twice. This is road as a family we have not traveled but we are committed 100% to bring this to a positive finish

Love
Dad