Friday, January 8, 2010

One in a Million Man

Don't you hate when people don't post to their blog in awhile. I admit, I follow a few blogs and I hate when time passes and no one posts. I really want to know what is going on. Sorry. It is all wrapped up in post holiday quiet. I have spent time hanging pictures, organizing, putting up Christmas, organizing medical receipts, tax receipts, business books, and now am planning a birthday party for our soon to be 12 year old. The days are not long enough sometimes.

Mike saw the doctor on Monday. He has gained 2 miraculous pounds. We made the decision to take the week off from Chemotherapy. Mike was feeling good, gaining weight, and gaining energy and strength. We just were not ready for the ride to stop. So Mike has spent the week eating, playing Wii, staying out of the cold, and just being a great husband and father.

Have I mentioned what a great man Mike is? I had an opportunity to meet another wife this week that is walking cancer. Her husband is 43 (same age as Mike) and has stage 4 cancer. She has been doing this for 2 years and they have 2 kids. Throughout our conversation, I was praising God. At first, I was just thrilled to meet someone that could understand me and everything that makes up our life: cancer, kids, money, medical, stress, living, etc. But as we shared, I quickly switched to listening mode. She was tired. Her husband was quite the opposite from Mike. It never occurred to me at that point, that those with cancer don't react the way Mike does. Some people are angry, some shut down...all are completely understandable. I was tearing up because I have so much to be Praise Jesus for.

Mike shows his love to Elizabeth and I every day. Whether it is through our code word in a text, or bringing home 3 roses the other day for no reason. He will stop and teach Elizabeth math or something else, despite feeling so bad after chemo. He will always take a moment with her no matter what. He is careful to boot me out every once in awhile to take time for me. Mike says thank you in big and small ways. He is a great man of such character. Definitely one in a million. I thank God that I made him marry me :).... Yes. This man is my husband and our marriage and love has evolved over the past year. We are fighting for each other with everything. It has grown on a spiritual level and matured to something more that I can't quite put into words. It is not a desperation thing, but a bond that is unbreakable. This is one of those times where I just don't have the vocabulary to explain it.

So we are starting Chemo again next week and have to get admitted into the hospital again. Everyone knows how I feel about that so I won't say it. I found out that it costs $38,000 for us to get admitted for Chemo in the hospital. Tricare pays $4400 to the hospital. It costs $15000 for us to do it in house at Dr. Khan's and Tricare pays $5300 (and that isn't cost). Tricare has been incredibly silent and my case manage hasn't returned my call this week. The writing is on the wall with this one I guess. This is what is wrong with the health care system. Speaking of the health care system, did anyone get the news that MD Anderson dropped their Medicaid patients because of not getting enough money with the new changes? 3000 patients in Arizona I believe. Someone needs to explain how large intuitions get tons of federal dollars for research, grants, National Cancer institute, and yet can drop those insured by the same government that feeds you. Why does this concern me? Because as I have blogged before, for some medical things Tricare pays below Medicaid. I really want our dear military friends to think about that.

I don't want this blog to become a political thing, but I do want people to learn through our experience to either help themselves or someone else who might have to walk this journey too. I will do better at posting. In fact, I will post on Monday from the hospital room during Chemo. Hopefully we will get a room this time and not get shoved in the back again!

Prayer needs:
Mike to eat more and gain more weight and strength
For me to finish getting things together
For our week - I have Jury Duty and Elizabeth's Birthday Party and Mike is starting Chemo again. That God will put a hedge of protection around Mike and that the Chemo will not affect him.
For Financial fortitude, wisdom and direction
Elizabeth- she has exams this week
For us to hear back from Tricare about going back to in office chemo
For health and protection in the hospital on Monday
For us to hear back from University of Pittsburgh about growing a new esophagus (for lack of a better medical term!)

Praise:
Mike - he is eating and it is awesome. He is not eating tons at a sitting, but he is eating all the time. He even ate sushi this week.
For my chance meeting - what an gift it was
For our new homeopathic treatment that we started this week. It is exciting but I can't blog too much about it yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deanna,
SO great to hear from you!!! PTL about the 2 lb. weight gain!! I'm sure that wife/mother was so thankful to meet you also!! Also, the "lesson" you learned about praising God for what He has given you (Mike) was just the same lesson I had in my devotions today and it really "spoke" to me...of course with different circumstances!
I look for your blog daily...mainly to pray in the right way! Love, and many many prayers, Gini

Anonymous said...

So glad to "finally" hear from you! :) Thanks for getting us up to date. Always praying in Florida...Roxanne