Friday, January 15, 2010

Update on Mike

I took Mike in today to get his blood work done and talked to the doctor about the pain and muscle aches that Mike is dealing with. They pulled him in a room and evaluated him. He is slightly dehydrated and his liver area is tender to the touch (new development). They are going to do a PET Scan next week once we get insurance approval to evaluate everything further.

They offered Mike fluids, but he insisted he wanted to go home. So we got the white blood cell booster and came back home. He went straight to bed and asked me to darkened the room and keep the noise down. He is in the "hyper sensitive" chemo mode.

My prayers are constant, my battle over fear is raging. I am wondering if there was a mixed up at the hospital and Mike got more chemo than normal. He has never reacted this strongly on the first dose of Taxotere. The doctor did say that Taxotere can cause muscle ache. The hardest thing right now is getting him to take fluids of any kind. He just feels so bad. He did do a tube feeding this morning and I will keep on him about the fluids and keep a close eye on his condition.

The positive note here is that they pulled Mike's blood work for Monday's chemo and since we are doing chemo in the hospital setting, they will order this VERY expensive but extremely effective nausea drug for our next go around. It will be covered under the hospital umbrella but not under the out patient in office chemo (go figure that one..). But that is a praise and "lemonade" with the hospital issue now. Plus, I have called everyone I can think of and registered complaints(nicely), so that hopefully Monday will go smoothly. That being said, there is no way Mike could do chemo in his present state. So all this may be for not.

Please continue to pray for Mike as he fights. Pray that he will eat more and really start pushing fluids. Pray for good news with the coming PET Scan. He is amazing, even with everything. He has said relatively little today, but he was quick to remind me on the way to the doctor that This is the day the Lord has made and we WILL rejoice in it.

Our praise today is for one more day and that Mike joined Elizabeth and her birthday party guests last night for cake. The 4 girls were gathered around the cake singing Happy Birthday to her and Mike was behind them on a bar stool singing and tearing up (girls didn't see). It was hard to hold it together. So many emotions flew between Mike and I in a split second of eye contact. What a gift - 12 years of an incredible gift.

8 comments:

Traci Estes said...

Praying for you my sweet friend! I"ve tried numerous times to leave a comment but can't seem to figure it out. Let's see if I can master this today! Give Elizabeth a hug from me and tell her Happy Happy Birthday! Love you all!

Anonymous said...

Deanna, I don't know what exactly happened in the hospital the day Mike was supposed to get chemo, but to have to wait there all day in such uncomfortable surroundings in unforgivable. I don't feel like I need to tell you that you need to be your own advocate in these medical issues, but please get mad, start yelling, or whatever it takes to get humane treatment if this should ever happen again. That whole deal makes me so angry, I can only imagine how the two of you felt.
Our prayers continue to be with you and Mike and Elizabeth. Much love, Aunt Mary

Marvie said...

My sentiments exactly Mary . . . thank you for posting your well stated thoughts.

And . . . HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, Elizabeth:-)

Sending our love, hugs and prayers your way ~ as always

Marvie (Mary's sister)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Elizabeth!! Heidi and I were just talking about your BD party at the Tucson ice skating rink. I believe you had just turned 5 or 6.
Deanna and Mike, you are heavy on my thoughts and in my prayers. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing the joy of your daughter's party!! Wish we could have been there to sing but glad we didn't have to eat the cake after Elizabeth tried over and over again to blow the impossible candles out :) :) :) Love, Gini for all

Anonymous said...

The Lord gives his people strength. The Lord blesses them with peace.
~ Psalm 29:11, NLT

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping up this blog. I don't know how you do it with everything you have going on. I pray for you guys daily and will continue to do so for as long as you need it. No matter the situation you always find a praise in it. You are such an inspiration to me!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
Stephanie Brentwood

Carrie said...

My heart is heavy and my mind is full ...may God hear your prayers and all those around the world. May He continue to answer your prayers ...Thanks for sharing the video. Now we both have 12 year olds:)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Elizabeth!! We love and miss you - love the video.

May God shine His light on you this week. May He provide for your every need. May He hold and comfort you. May He heal every physical and emotional need. Praying for you always...Roxanne for the family