Saturday, January 23, 2010

Diary of the Week (for lack of a better title)

It is quiet in the house this morning. Everyone is still asleep. It is nice and cloudy and will probably start raining any time. Mike finally agreed to get IV fluids yesterday. So we went in for blood work and he stayed a little over 3 hours for fluids and for IV anti nausea medication. He came home and slept and managed to get two cups of modified tube food down by bedtime last night. I slept better than I have in a week or so. Falling asleep at night, I have been praying/talking to God and saying that I hand Mike over to your care now. It just brings about a better sleep for me. Ultimately, Mike is in God's care 24/7, but it is like passing the torch or something that helps me sleep. I always get a visual of God pulling up a chair right beside Mike in bed and leaning on the bed watching him breathe. You know, like you do with your babies sometimes. I brings such a peace.

Yesterday was such a good day after the past two weeks or so. It brought such relief that Mike got the fluids. God also has done something else that is amazing. Mike's blood work is incredible. Truly, we have never seen numbers as high as they are - red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Well, actually the white blood cells are staying in the mid normal range and he is now going over a week with out a booster shot. His platelets are almost at 200. We haven't seen that since last may?? I think. Thank you Lord Jesus.

At this point, we are in a holding pattern not sure what our next move is. Well, we know that Mike needs to detox and get stronger. We will definitely not be doing Chemo again this week. Mike made a comment early this week. He said he feels like if he does Chemo again it will kill him. (That is just a little insight into the past two weeks). We have been praying and researching, but not received an answer yet. We also want for Dr. Khan to get back from Pakistan to sort out insurance and get his insight. We are asking for specific prayer in this area. There is a doctor in New York doing amazing things in the homeopathic world using pancreatic enzymes, that we are prayerfully considering as well as some other options. But we are waiting upon the Lord...

So guess what happened Monday at the doctor's office? Mike went back to get his blood work done and I trailed behind him because I do the check in and payment so he doesn't have to stand too long and he can get back to a chair. Mondays are always busy and there was a spot with two chairs and one chair beside this lady who I don't know. We have seen her a few times, but definitely not often. (Now that I think about it, we have probably seen every patient a few times! Some you talk to and some you don't). Mike was not feeling well at all, but she patted the chair and told him to sit by him. He wanted to sit by me, but he didn't want to be rude. So when I got back there I sat by myself and I look over and this women is talking to Mike. I pull out my book and wait until he is done. We get in the car and Mike told me what she was talking about. She had just been on a trip to Israel (that her husband didn't want her to go on) and she was telling him about it. Then she said, " I saw your face three times while I was there and prayed for you." Wow. We are both in awe and really don't understand but know that it is God at work. Truly, we don't know her. I don't know her name. We have seen her maybe 2-3 times. Why did she see his face 3 times? It makes me think of Jesus asking Peter, "Do you love me? Then feed my sheep" three times. I don't know the significance or have a "so this is the result" end to this paragraph. All I know is that God is here and at work. I feel that a spiritual battle is in full swing for Mike.

I also had time to meet another couple walking cancer. Noel and Gloria. I asked them if they got married at Christmas! They just laughed. I am amazed at the fight that some people have. I also love when I see marriage at it's core design in action. For better, for worse. For richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, til death do us part. I saw it in Gloria's eyes when she was sharing the battle they have walked this week. Noel's heart only pumps 1/2 right. He has breathing issues, blood issues, swelling issues, and of course cancer. But to walk by your partner, sometimes carry them, to cry for them, to love them, to cheer for them, to pray for them, to bathe them, to push them, and to really love them beyond words is the gift of a marriage designed by God. I think sometimes people might wonder if it is a burden, but for me, for Gloria, it is not. It really is an expression of deep, unending love.

Off my soapbox now, Mike had his PET Scan on Wednesday and we do not have results yet. I suspect that we will have them on Monday when we see the doctor.

Elizabeth's got her grades for the second 9 weeks and is still doing exceptional. We are proud. She is also improving at basketball and she has a game today. She was able to watch Star Wars Clone Wars with her dad last night and then stay up late reading book 4 in the Lighting Thief series. She is anxiously awaiting the movie.

I ended up having to change some setting on the blog due to getting spam in the comments section. It is relatively minor, but needed. I read every comment and if God leads you to comment, please do. Sometimes they are just a reminder that we are not alone and that prayers are flowing up on our behalf.

Prayer needs:
Mike to eat and take in enough fluids
PET Scan that it will reveal miraculous things
Mike will be able to detox after this last chemo
Medical options and wisdom with treatment

Praise:
One more day
Elizabeth and I went to a movie last night - Tooth Fairy
Gloria and Noel - what a gift they were
The mail - thank you so much for the perfectly timed notes and gifts. Especially this past week when things have been difficult.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got goosebumps when I read about the lady seeing Mike's face while in Israel!

-Lisa

Anonymous said...

I am with heysparky on the comment above...God is good!

Nahum 1:3 has been a comfort to me and I recently blogged about that scripture and felt led to post it here for your family.

The Lord has His way in the whirlwind and in the storm." Nahum 1:3