Wednesday, July 29, 2009

You have to show mercy to the stupid

Well, other than buying the house that we will reside in for the foreseeable future, we have officially checked the civilian life box. Mike and I got our Texas's Driver's License today that included our voter registration. I am officially home and still not sure how I feel about it. I love Texas and I have loved claiming it all these years as home. I loved visiting every moment I could, but I think I am grieving the loss of "new adventures" that come along with PCS orders. I love going to new places and traveling. I have to admit that I am pleading with God to bring that back into our lives somehow. But if this is where God needs us to be, then I am here.

I have two funny stories about Mike today:

1. The painful, and I mean PAINFUL, wait for our Driver's License. I took us over 1.5 hours to get these things - or at least the piece of paper until they arrive in mail in about 8 WEEKS (yes.. 8 weeks. Can you believe that?). So we waited in this long line, and finally got to the front. Mike and I went to the counter together because we have all the paperwork from registering both cars yesterday, along with VA paperwork, and retirement paperwork. We get to the counter and the lady said in the nastiest tone, " I can only help one at a time. You have to wait back in line until the next person is available." We both gave each other the "look" that husband and wives communicate with and Mike went back in line after he gave me all the paperwork. The next thing we know, someone calls next and the guy behind Mike goes. The lady that is helping me said, "Sir it was your turn. You should have gone" in a very snotty tone and Mike responded, "She has all the paperwork. (meaning me)". She turns and under her breath is the most rude tone said, "You should have come and gotten it from her then." I turn and look at Mike and he is about ready to throttle the lady. I haven't seen Mike like that in a LONG time. We are not in the Air Force anymore that is for sure. I would blog her name, but then that is really nasty!

2. After our PAINFUL venture to the DMV today, Mike wanted to go to Big Lots to look at computer cases for the netbook. We are walking across the parking lot when a guy in his car is driving towards us. I continue walking and Mike stops me. I said, "What? He is driving through parking spaces?" To which Mike responds-- Sometimes you have to show mercy to the stupid. I laughed! So true.

We should here from MD Anderson in the next 24 hours and then the process will begin. That should keep the blog interesting for awhile! I do have to give kudos to Tricare. They did approve us to go to Cleveland Clinic. They would pay for the medical, but we would have to pay for travel and lodging which is fair. However, as Mike blogged yesterday, there were things that we really hadn't thought about that needed to be weighed in making our decision.

Thanks Kathleen for that prayer and to everyone who has sent cards. I am stacking them away for him. The best thing about the cards coming is that Mike thinks I have something up my sleeve for his birthday - like a surprise party. I love it because he hates the thought of it. I can neither confirm nor deny this report since I know he reads the blog :)

Prayers:
Housing
MD Anderson - Lord to go before us and make the path straight and handle all details
Mike to gain weight and strength
Better sleep for Mike
The tube feedings to start feeling better for him. They are uncomfortable and make him feel bloated.

Praise:
Looked at a model home with Mike today
Swimming with friends for the afternoon
silly dogs
rain
To the AF for the care, details, and fun. What a life it was. It forever changed me!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!!
Flor (floreshayes@gmail.com)
hkpanda.freetzi.com

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mike and Deanna!!! Hope you all have a very blessed one! Note to Mike: Don't be getting greedy thinking your birthday is all about you;-) We're celebrating for you AND Deanna! We check the blog daily, pray for you throughout the day and are SO HAPPY each time we hear about a "normal" experience (even the annoying ones).

Have you guys ever seen the Hank Hill where Cotton goes to the DMV? Classic! The blog that's been up for a few days totally reminded me of it. Having lived in Texas and loved every minute, there are some things that show gets spot on -- the DMV is one of them! xo and birthday wishes for this -- and MANY MORE, Kathleen