Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Houston Bound

Dear Friends,

After several days of struggling with painful heartburn, gas and reflux, Deanna was smart enough to have me retry Probotics. Not much sleep with the pain for the last few days, but this stuff works great. In the hospital , I can get it via IV, but at home only via pill.

The pill of course would never make it down my damaged esophagus, but now with the feeding tube, we can just grind it up and pour it in with some water. So last night, I was able to get some sleep. My wife, beautiful and fabulously smart as well.

Blood levels are fine now, except the white count is still slightly low. Will probably just do the Nexovar anti-angeogenesis drug until our Houston consults are complete.

After consideration of the possibilities for multiple driving trips to and from the Cleveland clinic, I decided today to switch to MD Anderson in Houston instead. It's considered in a tie for second place with the Mayo clinic right behind Cleveland for the esophageal surgery I want to evaluate, so it's a still a very good choice. And the closer distance should greatly relieve the logistics.

I put in my referral request today. Will let you all know when our first trip to Houston will be. Some side benefits include the fact that Deanna has a cousin in Houston that might be able to help us. Plus, Dodie Osteen, the author of my favorite cancer book, is in Houston, and I might be able to visit her in person.

The Houston visit may bring an ethical dilemma. If they evaluate me and are willing to do the surgery, should I go ahead and get it? It would give me a 90% chance or so of recovering almost all digestive function. But it also has a 5-10% chance of killing me. Which is most fair to my family? Continuing in this life limited but apparently safe mode I am in now with the feeding tube? Or gambling with my life to have a chance at getting an unlimited life back?

Today we registered our cars for Texas disabled vet plates, and tomorrow we should get our Texas driver licenses.

House hunting is still on pause until we get our VA loan eligibility certificate.

Had some time a few days ago to go over to the McKinney airport after the morning doctor visit. I checked out the FBO and even had a nice chat with the Airport Management Assistant. She brought me up to date on a lot of the events happening at the airport.

I still wonder if God wants me to do something with aviation when I am better. Could be Wright Flight, Angel Flight, maybe CAP or even AFJROTC. I am impatient to know, but I know He will reveal this to me when the time is right.

I found my pocket calendar the other day that had been misplaced with all the moves. Funny thing--you look at August 08, and it is full of the old life of a USAF officer on active duty. But turn the page to September 08, and it is full of the logistics of cancer fighting. One little page is turned, and life changes forever.

It also has the phone number of one friend who retired shortly before I was diagnosed. I'm debating whether or not to call him. I don't think he knows about the cancer yet. I don't know whether or not I should call him out of the blue only to bring bad news. I have one more friend like this, although I have lost his contact information. Difficult to decide about these two.

Elizabeth is in high gear preparing for her role as John the Baptist at a church musical. Deanna is very busy taking care of us both.

God Bless you all!
-Mike

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 weeks ago I bought a book at a table sale after church service in Lincoln (UK, not NE;-) called The Prayer Manual. It's a fascinating book, published in 1951-1961 and has prayers listed by subject ranging from the usual (baptisms, the Church, etc.) to specific prayers written by believers for other interesting things -- bellringers, atomic power, social justice, sunday school teachers. We are praying for all the decisions you have to make in our own, simple words, but as I was reading today, I found myself putting you and Deanna forward in them.

The following is the prayer for Medical and Surgical Research by Frederick Macnutt. We always pray for you, but we're also going to pray for the Houston docs as they guide you through this next step! Kathleen

Almighty God, Who art the Father of truth and understanding: shed forth, we beseech Thee, upon those who are engaged in medical and surgical research the light of Thy heavenly guidance; grant unto them the spirit of patient discernment, that they may be skilled to discover the way of health and healing; and strengthen them with the asssurance that they are fellow-workers together with Thee; Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

Sarah said...

Mike,
Having grown up in the area, I have seen the miracles that they work at MD Anderson first hand. You will be in good hands. Only you can make the decision about the surgery. Trust in God to lead you down the right path. We think about you and pray for you and your ladies daily.

lynn / kev said...

Hi you guys, you're always in our prayers too. Kevin started praying for Mike to complete the missionary work that God has for him. God will give you the discernment and wisdom to make the right decisions going forward. We'll keep praying. Ps. 16:11. Love you all, Lynnette (& Kevin)