Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Dedication to Mike

Mike is doing ok today. He is in some pain and took morphine last night and twice today. However, today he took 1/2 of the prescribe dose. That is encouraging and I believe that tomorrow will be even better.

I had the opportunity to be Mike's patient advocate with the doctor today and was able to get some answers both Mike and I liked about the feeding tube vs TPN. There was a lot of confusion, but in the end, Mike will be taking 2 cans of liquid food 4 times a day. We finally tried out the tube tonight and we were able to get one can in with no effects (so far!). That is an absolute praise. He will do another one at 9:00 tonight. It was a little odd to watch and I won't go into details but modern medicine is amazing sometimes. I am praying this tube will be the start of better things to come. Once the site has healed over, Mike will be able to take showers again. He hasn't been in a shower since October. He has done baths and sponge baths, but sometimes there is nothing like standing in the shower having water pour down over you.

I am keeping this short because our dog woke me up in the middle of the night with the growling and all out barking attack at something in the backyard (probably a cat) and woke me up at of a deep sleep with a surge of adrenaline. It took me over 2 hours to fall back to sleep. I am done but I wanted to update everyone on Mike.

Finally, we got a great thing from Doug (and Dena) Howard via email tonight. Click on the link below, it is awesome.
http://www.livestrongaction.org/dedication/lt-col-mike-phillips

No comments: