Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Surrounded by saints

Dear Friends,

It's amazing how fast a microscopic enemy can completely take you down. It reminds me of some of my martial arts friends who, in a quick blur of motion, could put me on my back so fast that I couldn't even see how they did it.

The symptoms were identical in kind to previous staph infections, so I was fairly confident that it was staph even before the tests confirmed it. But the symptoms were worse by degree. Naked-and-wet-in-an-ice-storm cold one minute, trapped-in-a-sauna-stuck-in steam-heat-mode-hot the next.

Even 1000mg doses of Tylenol couldn't keep the fever much below 102. Thankfully though, within an hour after they removed the PICC line, all that ended. I am so much better. Perhaps Tom's theory about fevers fighting cancer is true. Maybe it was a gift from God, another schwacking for whatever cancer cells are left.

We're seeing so many of the old familiar faces again, but making some new friends too. I told one assistant my story while she was working on changing my bedding. She had a remarkable story to tell herself. She had knowingly married a man with terminal cancer. They had nearly 10 years together before he passed away. What great love she has in her heart! Caring for a spouse who gets cancer is one thing, but signing up for it from the start is something else. Here she was, a saint working on her nursing degree, changing my sheets.

Another assistant started helping tonight, with a wrapping around one wrist. I asked her how it happened, to make conversation. It turned out she was hurt trying to restrain a violent patient in the hospital. Another saint, hurt trying to help someone.

I'm working on my second and last unit of blood right now. Two more saints whose names I will never know.

These saints are all over this hospital!

We will likely have a little surgery Monday morning: install a mediport; install a g-tube; survey the esophagus and stomach; stretch the esophagus if it appears safe to do so; collect a biopsy specimen of anything that looks like live cancer cells (for HER-2 gene testing).

I've been leaning heavily on Jesus the last few days, and He has held me up! Thank You Yeshua.

Treading with saints,
-Mike

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating us. I'm sorry about your vacation, but I'm grateful the fever is gone! Looks like Monday will be a big day...know we will be in prayer!

May God continue to bless and heal - hugs from the Maxwell's

Anonymous said...

All of you inspire me greatly. Your honesty about your struggles and your triumphs keep me checking back frequently. Keep fighting and keep loving one another. God bless you.

lynn / kev said...

I was thinking the same thing about the fever/cancer thing. God in His infinite wisdom. And what a blessing, all these saints around you, Mike. Wonderful the care and love of God and His own. I'm so thankful you're so much better and praising and thanking God. Every day is a gift. Love, Lynnette Ps. 16:11 "You make known to me the path of life, in Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." Amen.