Monday, February 2, 2009

Last day of active duty in the USAF

Mike here again. Since today is my last official day of active duty, I thought I should post a little.

Current status is I am in the McKinney hospital waiting for blood. I'm going to get two units, which will hopefully help me feel a bit stronger. My body is weak right now; I get winded just walking from one room to another in the house. No chemo this week, just not strong enough to withstand it. I have a head cold/sinus cold that is draining yellow goo into my stomach and aggravating my nausea.

I have to admit that this retirement hurts more than I thought it would. So much of what I've done in life has been defined by my service. Who am I now? What is my mission now? I want to cling to active service to avoid these questions, but it is time to face them. I believe that God has a plan for me, but he hasn't revealed it yet. Not that I could do anything about it right now anyway until I get stronger, but still I crave to know what it is. I have to be patient though; God will reveal it in His good time.

What do I regret? I think that I worked too hard at the beginning of my career, and often neglected Deanna. There were many evenings and weekends that I was the only one in the squadron, working on some project or other. Projects that were so important that I've forgotten most of them. But I will never get that time back, and neither will Deanna. Hard work is important, but it eventually evaporates. But family is, or should be, forever. I also regret being a little too much into the technology, and not working hard enough to get to know the people I served with. Invest some time in the people around you, their life stories will astound you, even if they appear to be mundane at first. I found myself hungry for squadron command late in my career, because I honestly wanted to be in a position to take care of people. As a squadron DO, my primary job was to take care of the mission, but when my boss was unavailable, I occasionally was able to step in and do something good for someone in the organization. These occasions were some of the most satisfying in my career. Unfortunately, I never got the opportunity to command. There was always a competitor with a slightly stronger record who got the nod for this incredible privilege. This really hurts too, to get that close to the best job in the USAF, but never quite able to reach it. If you are a young aviator, and you think you only want to fly for your entire career, you should reconsider. I got to a point where I had pretty much done everything you can do in a B-1, and then I wanted more, but I hadn't done any of the career building things that lead to command. Don't neglect this part of your career.

Of course there is a tremendous amount of joy as well. The completion of many missions well done. The opportunity to teach several new generations of USAF aviators. The relationships forged in intense training and combat, some of which will last a lifetime. Places visited, and cultures experienced around the world and across the USA. The humble pride of patriotism, of being the recipient of the legacy of those who served before us. When random strangers stop you on the street and thank you for your service--nothing much compares to that.

Of course, you never know. When I'm stronger, maybe I can come back on one of those retired back to active duty programs. I'm also toying with the idea of trying to start a JROTC unit here in McKinney. They have three high schools but no JROTC. I met a student the other day who was commuting to a different city's high school so he could be in JROTC.

My thanks and best wishes go out to everyone I've served with on this USAF journey, especially those who have worked so hard to help me through this illness in recent months. God Bless you beyond your best dreams. In echelon, we carry on--Nothing can stop the US Air Force.

Yours in Christ,
-Mike

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mike! Four years ago, on the first Monday in February, John retired! Time has flown by and we've both loved "retirement"! We also were very glad for John's 20 plus years in the AF. Thanks for your honest words and thoughts. We continue to pray daily for you and your family. Love, the Armes

Anonymous said...

Retirement is only the beginning of something new...I was going to mention High School JROTC. I almost walked that path after I retired in 1996, God had a different idea...our Sarah. A little breathing and healing time with alot of prayer and patience will ensure your journey is fulfilling.
God's Peace and Love,
Mary Ruehl

Anonymous said...

Igor,

Good words, brother! Thank you for that. You can be extremely proud of your service to our nation. You did it well and you have many who are grateful to have served with you and will join you soon in the retired ranks. Rest assured that "Once an Airman/Boneman, Always an Airman/Boneman!" and that God still has tremendous plans for you. And as Pierre sang at your ceremony - "Your last shall be better than your first!"

Many blessings and Congratulations,

Caveman

lynn / kev said...

I like what "Caveman" said. I will just say congratulations and thank you, Mike. God bless you. With love, prayers and gratitude, Lynnette

Bruce said...

Igor, great to hear your words. Your often-times behind-the-scenes efforts to ensure the mission was successful did not go without notice. Wish I could count the times I asked "how did that get done" and the answer was "Igor did it."
I am 100% confident the Almighty will complete the work he has started in you. I pray you will soon see where He has pointed your compass.
I will be in Texas in a couple weeks to see some colleges with Andy, hope to see you then.
Peace brother,
Sapling

Anonymous said...

Mike,
You're right, God does have a plan for you; everyone reading the blog knows God has an amazing plan for you. He may not have revealed it to you yet, but he's shown it to the world. We see it and hear it when we read your words and Deanna's words. You did it before when you were in the Air Force and you're doing it now when you tell the world about Him. Micah 6:8.
Praying for His Blessings on You,
The Muhlbauers

Anonymous said...

Mike, THANK YOU for your service! Your dedication and hard work is appreciated and valued very much. God Bless you!!! The Maxwells