Thursday, February 12, 2009

Another obstacle...God is bigger

I feel like a bomb has been planted in the middle of our house tonight. And yet if I focus on it, I will forget all the blessings that abound. We have received phone calls from friends near and far today. Looking back, I think God sent them as encouragement to us. Pierre was with us at the hospital and God knows just the right people to be there at just the right time. God even gave us the nurse in Day surgery that is a believer and was with us during the first stent. We even have received well time emails today, all to encourage and to remind me to never give up.

So, the opening in Mike's esophagus is now filled with tumor again. Mike's upper esophagus is ulcerated. We have to make a decision about putting a stent in again. The GI doctor feels like the cancer is progressing. But the oncologist thinks we are making gains.

It just reminds me of Jeremiah 17: 5-18
This is what the Lord says: Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the Lord. He will be like a bush in the wastelands; he will not see prosperity when it comes. He will dwell in the parched places of the desert, in a slat land where no one lives.
But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.

I have been one teary eye girl today. I can't seem to stop the tears from rolling. But I do know that if I put all my faith in man (i.e. Doctors) that Mike has no hope - the statistics say it. But I trust in the Lord. He is our rock and strong tower. He is able to overcome this. He can lead us into right treatments, right decisions, or just heal Mike over night.

Oh and I got a parking ticket at the hospital that I now have to take care of with the City.

Prayer:
For decisions about the stent - whether to do a permanent metal stent or another plastic one. The biggest question is that Mike will have acid reflux all the time and there is a risk of death because of aspiration. Remember, the stent will go right over the flap that closes the stomach from the esophagus. Mike will not be able to lay flat due to that risk.

God to continue to manifest Mike's healing. I don't want this post to gloss over the fact that Mike's liver lesions are 50% smaller. Mike is no longer showing signs of liver failure (swelling etc) and that Mike is still able to lay flat and is not on pain medication anymore. Those are all very real signs of healing of cancer.

Mike to eat and drink more.
The new TPN to make a huge difference in Mike's energy level
For Satan to go away and take his fear tactics with him
For our house in FL to sell
For the biopsy on Mike's ulcers to be something easy to solve with medication
For Elizabeth - she blew up today for the first time. She revealed that she didn't want to talk about her worries because she didn't want to give me worries or to start crying. She needs to let things out
For me - strength, faith, wisdom

Praises:
On more day as a family
Medical advances that can open up that closure in Mike's esophagus
Friends that called today
Emails
Pierre and Melissa -

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Your position is wise. Some trust in chariots, some trust in horses, but we trust in our God. According to scripture, Mike has been healed by Jesus' finished work on the cross and His resurrection. We will continue to pray for that healing to manifest in Mike's physical body, and thank our Lord for every sign that it's already happening.

Mike, I am very, very proud of you. And Deanna, I am really proud of you, too. This is an over-the-top trial for both of you, and you are clinging to the only One who can rescue.

-Lisa

Polly said...

Hi, Deanna,

I am praying for you all. I was thinking of you this morning and tried to e-mail, but I have your address wrong. Thanks for keeping us all posted on the blog. My mom has recently been diagnosed with a cancer that will eventually be terminal.So thanks for the words of wisdom about trusting in God and not in man. I need to hear that right now!

Anonymous said...

Deanna,
It's OK (in fact "good medicine") for you and Elizabeth to cry!!! I will pray that she would be able to talk more. Love and many many prayers, Gini for all