Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Mike posting today. I hope you didn't wait till today to get your cards like I did.

For the first time in quite a while I had no medical appointments today. Elizabeth has a bit of cold and fever, so we also didn't go to her morning basketball. I enjoyed the delicious luxury of sleeping in till 1030! The sleep wasn't very high quality with waking up to be nauseous every hour or so, but it was still so nice not to have a morning rush.

A lot of good stuff happened today that we are very thankful for.

First, our new home health provider came to the house with our first week's supply of TPN. Tri-care made us switch providers when we retired, which we were pretty nervous about, but it looks like it's going to work out pretty well. TPN is the IV nutrition that keeps me alive until I can eat again. This new TPN seems to have some good qualities. We only have one bag, one pump, and one line as opposed to two of everything. You can hook up faster and there seems to be less stuff to screw up. It fits in a day pack, so I don't have to drag an IV pole around with me. The pump is simpler to operate and has rechargeable batteries. They seem to be on top of the ingredients too-they test your blood early in the week and adjust the contents to whatever your system is low on when they deliver the next week's supply at the end of the week. It should save me from having to swallow as many pills for assorted vitamins and supplements.

Next, Rich Gannon, my old Tiger squadron mate, was in town visiting relatives and took the time to stop by and see us. We hadn't seen each other in years, and it was great catching up.

Then, Bruce Beyerly stopped by with his son. They are driving around Texas visiting potential universities, and took the afternoon to visit and share dinner with us.

What a day! Two visits from B-1 brothers who are out there doing righteous work for America.

To top it off, my AFSOC brothers and sisters sent flowers for my wife. You guys are awesome!

My beautiful wife, Deanna, I can't say enough about her. Through these trials, her courage, perseverance, energy, have amazed me again and again. She has to take care of everything she used to do, everything I used to do, plus the additional demands of becoming a 24/7/365 medical care-giver. I don't know how she does it. She is like all the great women of the Bible rolled up into one stunning package. If our positions were reversed, I honestly don't think I could do half as well as she has, and continues to do. I think the Lord will someday richly reward her for her sacrifices.

Medical stuff. Tomorrow we'll go into the clinic for a blood count, and Monday we'll go over to the hospital to get another plastic stint put into my esophagus. There is also going to be some tweaking to my chemo formula.

Please pray for strength and peace for all of us, plus healing for Elizabeth-that she will be back up to speed for this coming week. For me? The healing miracle of course, and that my faith would be strong and patient to wait for His timeline. The nausea and lack of sleep makes me bite my tongue sometimes to keep from inappropriate words. No matter how this ends, I want my character to honor God. Otherwise our prayer requests remain unchanged.

Yours in Christ,
-Mike

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you all had a great day! We continue to pray for you all and hope the doctors will be able to adjust your treatment. Hope Elizabeth is feeling better soon!
Cynthia
P.S. Glad to hear the flowers arrived!

Anonymous said...

What a nice "blog" Mike! Yes, you have a truly amazing wife!!! Gini Armes

lynn / kev said...

This blog was like a valentine, Mike. Thanks for sharing your heart. God has truly blessed you with a good wife and such a precious daughter. Praying for you all with love, Lynnette