Friday, February 20, 2009

Mike here tonight.



A number of noteworthy things happened over the last few days.



Wednesday night I went to Bible study at church with Deanna and got to meet just one of the many groups that have been so generous with their prayer support. They are working onthe book of Jeremiah. There were several other families there that have been attacked by cancer. The disease sems to me to be an epidemic now-no family, it seems, has been left unscathed. I also walked into the kids area to pick up Elizabeth from her GA group. For some reason, this was a very big deal and meant a lot to her. I was just glad that my energy level has increased enough that I could get myself up there.



We got the results of the biopsy back that our gastroenterologist took during the stent implantation procedure. Negative for cancer! The oncologist believes that the swelling around the stomach/esophagus juncture is just tissue irritation from the nausea and acid reflux, rather than the cancer spreading. He's decided to stick with the present chemo formula, since it seems to be working after all. Monday should be our next chemo dose. This is really good news!



I had a bit of redness around my port site where the hook needles go in, so I'm getting some more anti-biotics-IV yesterday and today, liquid oral tommorow and Sunday. White count was also a bit low today, so I got a nuepro shot to give me alittle boost. Hemoglobin improved a bit from 8.7 to 9.2, so we may not have to worry about another transfusion, at least for now. We'll recheck it again tommorow.



I've had litle to no nausea for several days now, another huge praise, but I am having some pretty significant pain. It's funny because it's esophagus pain, but I feel it in my ribs. Another cancer trick is that you can feel something happening in a place other than where it is actually occuring. I've had to go back on the morphine patch--tried 25 units yesterday but couldn't sleep, was up all night with it, so we're going to 50 today. It seems to be working except when I have to burp or hiccup, which always brings a nice zinger that lasts about a minute. Hopefully tonight will be better.



Today we squeezed in a road trip to the Texas National Gurad Armory in south Dallas where we got three new ID cards. For some reason, this wasn't the significant emotional event I thought it would be. I supppose most of that got through my system on the actual retirement date. It was nice to be around military people for a bit.

Elizabeth is still battling her blister/lesion problem, but seems to be somewhat better. Deanna is tired, but doing well.

God Bless you all,
-Mike

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
What a breath of fresh air to hear your great report! We continue to pray for each of you. the Armes

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!!! Mike, thanks for sharing this praise with us. We hope you get a good night sleep tonight - pain free! Love & prayers, The Maxwells

Anonymous said...

Mike,
Great to hear from you tonight. We are still with you in the fight and pray for your strength. God Bless
The duseks
PS Welcome to this side of the retirement line. I've learned that although you might retire from active duty - you never leave the military because the bonds are always there.

Bruce said...

Mike, great to hear from you, and that you are drawing from His mighty strength - physically and mentally. We had a successful trip to Tx this week, and visiting you guys (y'all) was part of that "success."
Bruce

Anonymous said...

It is always great to hear from you Mike! This is great news about the biopsy and how you are feeling--your AFSOC brothers and sisters continue to pray that you will continue to progress.

It's also great to hear Elizabeth is doing better. We all keep you in our prayers and you all are always in our thoughts!
Cynthia