Thursday, January 29, 2009

It has been awhile - please forgive me

I know. I am sorry. I have been fighting a cold and have been so tired at night. I haven't had the energy.

So where are we? Mike did a round of Chemo this week despite the cold he gave me. He was literally in bed until around 5:00 pm on Wednesday. I think he slept and threw up most the day on Tuesday. He didn't start throwing up until Monday night. So that was different this time. Normally he starts throwing up during the Chemo. He is also not throwing up as much this time. Now, I would never say that to him, because he feels so bad. But I am the one that cleans the bucket and it is a true statement.

We went today for a CT Scan. We were supposed to go yesterday, but everything got cancelled due to the ice storm. (Elizabeth got her second Snow Day this year. She played outside most of the day). The CT Scan will give us more information to bundle with the PET Scan. We hope to get results on Monday when we meet with the Dr. Two things that are a little different with Mike - his potassium is on the normal low side. We have started taking pills to help keep that up. Potassium is important in keeping the heart going so we don't want to mess with that. Mike's billiruben is a little elevated as well. That is hard to determine bad or concern because Mike has Gilberts' Syndrome that has caused that for as long as I have known him. And in the end, God is in control.

Something new/interesting to report is that Col Fowler flew to Dallas yesterday and met with Mike and I today. He will also be back with Darla from Shepard AFB tomorrow. He is going through all the retirement paperwork and checklists with us. He is also helping to solve some pay issues. He told us something that was very interesting and we consider and blessing of what has happened to us. As you know, we have SGLI and because we have it, we automatically can convert to VGLI. They can not deny us. THAT is very important because Mike will never qualify for any insurance due to cancer. What I was surprised to hear is that some people do not elect to take SGLI. The blessing in this is that some people have taken our circumstances to heart and are now taking SGLI to protect their family. I think we are an awesome example of why insurance is important. One year ago, we were closing on our first house ever. Life was flowing and we had no idea what was around the corner.

Tomorrow, Darla is coming and we are going to address the great "What if" question. What if something happens to Mike. I really hate that we have to go there, but we have to go there. I will probably tear up too... So I am going to pray for extra strength and extra sleep tonight.

Monday is our last day on active duty. February 2 is our retirement date. We are done and need to walk into retirement, the VA system, and Tricare Prime. I am looking forward to 3 months from now when that becomes routine. Our list is big for next week. We have to go meet with our new Primary Care Dr, go to Carswell for ID's, and now I need to track down medical records from one of our hospital stays to send to the VA. Presby Allen is not responding to their request. YES... I am calling on Presbyterian Hospital in Allen, TX. It just makes me feel better.

Finally, Wendy and Jeff and coming in from Abilene this weekend. I love visitors. I love the AF and all the friends that we have made along the way. Thank you for sticking with us through this.

Prayers:
Mike to eat more
Mike to gain weight
Miraculous results from the CT Scan
Our house in FL to sell
Godly intervention over all the details over the coming weeks
Health care - that there will not be any issues as we switch over to retiree status... this is one of my biggest fears

Praises:
Ice Day - it was fun for things to shut down for a day
Insurance for our house in FL - had to pay through the nose for it, but we have insurance
Elizabeth and the joy she brings us
Mike's will to keep fighting despite how bad the Chemo makes him feel
Col Fowler and everyone at Hurlburt that is bending over backwards for us. Words can not express our gratitude

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing Deanna! Last night I was specifically thinking and praying for your FL house. Every day Heidi comes home from school and asks if there's "any news from the Phillips?" Continuing to pray for each of you! Love, the Armes