Thursday, January 8, 2009

Throw up, "Strangers" and Praising

Monday was round 2 of Chemo. The actual physical act of sitting in a chair while toxins are pouring into you is not bad. Mike did start throwing up about 1/2 way through and then we headed home where he continued to throw up.

We went back on Tuesday for a shot to boost his immune system and he was still throwing up. We went home and I finally called at around noon to let them know. We then headed back to the Cancer Center for fluids and anti nausea IV's. We went home and he was still throwing up.

We went back on Wednesday for blood work and saw the doctor because we were still throwing up. We then got more fluids and anti nausea medication. We went home and he threw up one more time.

Thursday... he woke up and felt better. He got out of bed! He is sitting outside soaking up the sun and we also had enough energy to go to Lewisville for a colonic. I just made him some mash potatoes to eat. He has not eaten during the last 3 days. Praise God for his protection and timing. I pray we can get him to eat more over the next few days to gain strength back to start this all over.

Last night and today were awesome. I went to church last night at First Baptist McKinney and sat in on a bible study on Jeremiah. It felt so good to sit and just be taught from the word. So filling and refreshing. I also met a stranger - who is no longer a stranger - that has been reading the blog and praying for us. How awesome is that?? At first, I was a little taken back. Someone we have never met would really be praying for us and really supporting us. But they are as well as many others. I hope that someday, God will line everyone up in heaven that has been praying for us so that Mike, Elizabeth and I can hug each and everyone of you for your love and commitment to present our prayers before the mighty One we serve.

I also was able to read a short book - Prison to Praise by Merlin Carothers - that was an incredible gift to us. He is a former Chaplain and the basic point of the book is giving God Praise in ALL Things - praise for cancer, praise for divorce, praise for deployments - and then the testimony of the incredible mercies and grace and miracles that result from it. I highly recommend it. It is short, but worth every page.

Did anyone catch the Barbara Walters special last night? It was with Patrick Swazye and his wife. Patrick has Stage 4 Pancreatic cancer with met to liver. We watched it last night and it was like watching Mike and I on TV - well almost. I think Patrick made a comment that it tests everything he believes. For us, this has not tested our faith, it has deepen and enriched it. That is the truth. Probably the biggest comfort to me last night was his wife. She broke down in tears a few times and that was so encouraging to me. I do that all the time. I am tearing up right now. I did it last night in front of my new friends' spouse. I think in the end, the tears come from a deep sense of love, pride, appreciation, and admiration of our husbands strength, fight, and for me faith.

So as hard as Mon, Tues, and Weds were, today is a blessing of calm and peace. These days are such a treasure.

Prayer requests -
Mike to eat and drink more
Strength for today
Healing for Elizabeth's voice - she got a cold 3 weeks ago and still doesn't have her voice
Chemo to work at demolishing the cancer
God's plan and purpose for Mike
More days like today!
Our house in FL to sell - we dropped the price $10,000 today
Financial things to work out...

Praise list:
Mike is not throwing up and he is eating small amounts
Mike has cancer and it changed our lives
God hand in this walk
I got to spend time with a 3 year old today
Col Fowler and everything he is doing with our pay and paperwork
Kaye and everything she is doing with our medical/tricare needs
Marsha Thomas and Faith Gibson for everything they are doing to sell our house
I washed the car today - first time in 6 weeks
A sunny day to be outside with Mike
Jesus died on the cross for my sins and is the bridge we will walk to enter heaven!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord you have had an awesome night and day! And that Mike is past the throw ups.... I did watch the Barbara Walters special with the Swayze's. Cried also... I am glad they shared their story, hard as it is, and brave to go on TV with all the real emotions...no acting.... I have prayed for him and have wondered how he/they were doing... only hear "rumors" on TV.. Praying for all of you, I am so thankful y'all are having good days.
Donna

Anonymous said...

We've been waiting to hear how round 2 went...thank God the vomiting has stopped. We pray Mike can replenish what he has lost.
It is so awesome you got to meet "one" of your prayer warriors! How cool is that?? :)
We are always praying and praising with you! Roxanne and family

Anonymous said...

I had wanted to see the Barbara Walters interview but totally forgot about it. I was very curious on how they cope...it didn't seem like they had the vital faith you have. We continue to pray for you and what's especially been "extra" on my prayers is your home to sell! Love, Gini