Monday, January 19, 2009

Another miracle, Another mild stone, and JUST EAT MIKE!

We are so blessed today. We have made another mild stone in this walk... Elizabeth's birthday. We have had the absolute God given joy of celebrating her life this weekend. She was a miracle from God and we consider it an absolute blessing that we got to celebrate this weekend with our family and dear friends. WE had a cake and ice cream sundae party at our house and God also blessed us with Sherry to help with all the details. For all those that know Sherry, ask her about the cake box lid hitting her in the face this weekend. I have never laughed so hard. Best of all she did it in front of an audience at Tom Thumb. I will tell you this, Sherry is my angel. She was such a big help. I couldn't have done it without her. I am blessed that God knows when to send in earthly angels to be with us right now. As time goes on, people naturally go back to their lives and that is when God sends the biggest blessings in our wonderful friends.

We do not have the PET Scan results and I will blog those as soon as I get those. Mike went into the Dr Khan's office this morning. Mike lost 3 pounds this week and nutrition has become the biggest concern. He is down to 153 lbs completely dressed. We have increased the IV's and everything, but we need him to develop this incredible hunger right now. I realize it needs to be baby steps and I need to patient. The thing about this that I hate the most is that I have to ask him all the time, "What do you want to eat?" or "What have you eaten?" or "Try this" or "Here is this". I am on him all the time to put food in his mouth. Most of the time, he doesn't. I have bought so many protein drinks and mixes just to try to find something for him to put in his body. Any suggestions would be welcomed at this point.

We are not doing Chemo this week due to Mike's nutritional status.

There are two miracles in all this:
1. Mike is no longer on any pain medication or patch.
2. Dr. Khans words this morning " I can no longer feel any tumor" as he is pressing on his stomach.

Mike is weak due to his nutrition and weight loss. He gets winded quickly and has no strength right now. But God will work on that too. God can do that on top of everything else.

Prayer needs:
Mike to eat more
Mike to drink more
The new nausea medication to work
Our house in FL to sell
Sleep and rest
Focus and time to get paperwork/taxes/files together
Elizabeth's spelling bee tomorrow

Praise:
Birthdays
Friends
We got paid!!! God answered that prayer!
The tumor is shrinking
IV food that is keeping Mike alive right now
Medication and insurance - I don't ever want to take that for granted!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

D,
Praying all the time and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Elizabeth! I don't have an email for you that works, so I'll have to blog this, but on the food front, I know when my bro was going through chemo, cold things worked well to stay down (popsicles) and help to take away that metallic taste that lingers. I don't know if Mike can tolerate ice cream, but it's loaded with calories (unfortunately sugar as well, which isn't good, so I don't know if this a route you can take). But you can add protein powders in large-ish quantities to it and you can't really taste the protein powder (I also did this when Erin was an infant and needed to gain weight). Also, Trader Joe's used to sometimes carry "Rahm yogurt." It's a FULL FAT (it tastes amazing -- unlike the low fat yogurt we eat in the states), calorie laden yogurt we fed Erin as a baby in Germany for weight issues and had to find when we moved to the states. I think it has as many calories as full fat ice cream, but with the benefits of being a yogurt. xo,Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Mike & Deanna!
I was praying today for Mike to be able to keep down food and get the nutrition he needs when something popped into my mind--FRESH JUICES (not those from the grocery shelf). You may have already tried this, but it may be worth another effort. As you probably already know, fresh juices have nearly all the nutrition of fresh fruits and vegitables, but they don't stress the GI tract nearly as much due to their lack of bulk. If good nutrition is needed, fresh juices are an amazing source. Having had a little experience with juices and healing, I highly recommend carrot, celery, and wheatgrass juice, together or separate. Good old apple can also be very beneficial, but should be diluted with pure water to cut the high sugar content. Avoid high acid juices like citrus. I highly recommend a good juicer from an organic food store, but any juicer is better than none. My apologies if this is old news, but it came to me in prayer, so I had to blog it to you ASAP.
Peace,
Rolex

lynn / kev said...

The juice idea is a good one and the best juicer on the market is the Acme Juicerator. I have one I got back in the 70's! I've seen them at health food stores here. Might cost about $250-300, but you'll never have to get another one. Be sure to get the citrus juicing top piece. You can juice any kind of fruit or vegetable. The pulp is collected inside and you can use a filter to make cleanup easy. I'm so glad you had a fun birthday party for Elizabeth and PRAISE GOD the tumor is shrinking!!! With Mike not having chemo this week, maybe that'll help his appetite/eating. I hope so. We're praying! Love, Lynnette