Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Chemo starts again

Mike had a round of Chemo yesterday. It is the first time in 6 weeks and secretly I hate it. He is looking so good and his facial hair was starting to grow. His blood counts are great too. This time, starting Chemo feels just a little bit different. It is the first time we have walked into the Chemo room with some sort of plan. As stated in an earlier blog, we will do this for another 3-4 months, which in my mind equates to 6 treatments. Then probably another PET Scan and God willing, the surgery. I do have to remind myself to take a deep breath and not look too far ahead though.

I got a call yesterday from the GI doctor. He got the results of the barium swallow test and wants to put a stent in Mike. A metal stent. Mike has said no right now. The stents are so painful for him. He doesn't like the pain patch and the fact that he can not lay down to sleep. It pulls too much and his ribs hurt constantly. He also sleeps with 3 pillows stacked in his lap and hutched over. However, I do know that we run a risk of his esophagus closing completely. That means he could aspirate in his own spit. It is a very real risk. What do you do (other than prayer)? There are times when I have to listen and let Mike make decisions. This is one of them. Both options are awful. We see the doctor on Thursday. I am going to ask if there is any other way. Will you be in prayer over this?

I sat in the Chemo clinic yesterday with Mike and God is breaking my heart. I start to hear stories about people. Who they are, who they were, and the effect of cancer in their lives. It hurts so much sometimes because most of the time, there is nothing I can do. I have met retired military, professional actors, professional singers, moms, dads, rodeo stars, immigrants, old, young... I hear stories of how in 2 years cancer has wiped people out financially and they are just trying to get by. But in the end, every person has one thing in common - hope. What do you do with that? What is God trying to do with it?

I will end this post with a story of this insane dog we allowed to live with us in January - Belle, the beagle. We left the bedroom window open last night to have fresh, rain cooled air in. About 11:30 Belle growls, and then jumps through the window, knocking out the screen - barking and snarling, and growling. Scared me beyond words. I am thinking she is taking out someone in the backyard.... It was a cat on top of the fence. As you can imagine, I am very tired. I couldn't quite recover after that scare.

Prayer needs:
Chemo - that it will kill only cancer cells
Mike will recover quickly and not throw up too much
Mike wants to be able to go to church on Wednesday night for mission seminars - strength to go
His esophagus and all the issues with that mentioned above
Our house to FL to sell at the right price. It is really starting to hurt financially.
Me - to make time for myself to take care of myself
Elizabeth - she has important tests this week
That we can be a light to all those we meet

Praise:
Healing of Mikes' port site
One more day
Rain
stupid dogs
planting flower beds
Wendy and Jeff - there visit this weekend was so joyful
Friends who listen

1 comment:

lynn / kev said...

Eph. 3:20-21; Phil. 4:19; Romans 8:32; Phil. 4:4-10; Isaiah 41:10. Love & prayers, Lynnette