Monday, April 6, 2009

Staph Infection

Mike is still in the hospital and will be here another 3-4 days. The culture revealed that he has a Staph Infection in his blood. It is NOT MRSA which is a praise to God. However, a Staph infection is nothing to mess around with. They say that a staph infection usually has a source. Right now they are leaning towards Mike's port. I am praying that is not the case. They are going to do a 3 day scan using his White Blood Cells. They will draw blood out and separate his White Blood Cells. They will then inject the White Blood Cells with radio isotopes. They will then inject the White Blood cells back into Mike and do a scan every day. The white blood cells usually go to the source of the infection to fight it. So if they are on the port, then we will have to have it removed and placed at a different location.

Overall, Mike is good. His temps are down and now range between normal and 100.8. He is tired. He got two pints of blood last night, which means they woke him up a lot. He has developed diarrhea, probably due to the high dose of antibiotics he is receiving. However, we need to watch that because we don't want to develop colitis again. That was a very painful for Mike back in December when his stomach bloated up.

I have been going home at night to sleep. I got here this morning and cleaned the room. I like to take these anti-germs wipes and wipe down everything after house keeping leaves - door handles, remotes, sink, tray table, bathroom. You can never be too careful. Then Mike and I walked the hall and said hello to all the nurses we know. Mike said, "Let's go on my prayer walk." Now, I walk the dog every morning and I pray for the day and pray by people's houses that I know are struggling. Most of my prayer is lifted up for Mike. So we start walking and I am praying for Mike when Mike said something that stopped me in my tracks. Mike said, " I like to walk the halls and pray for the rooms and the people in them." My mind didn't even go there and I needed to be reminded of how Christ would walk these halls.

So, as you do your prayer walk today or prayer time, here is our prayer request:

Pray that the medicine will kill the infection completely.
No side effects from the medication (like colitis)
They will be able to identify the source of the infection
That God will protect all Mike's other organs and systems from damage during this battle
That the cancer will be held in its tracks as we fight this. Chemo will be postponed for at least another week.
Mike will continue to be strong in body, mind and spirit
Rest for Mike.
That we can be home for Easter
Elizabeth and I - that we can juggle this hospital stay and routine without getting sick or tired
That our house in FL will sell in God's timing at the right price
Mike will eat and drink more
I want the source of the infection to be something that happened during the stent removal on Wednesday and not the port. The port is so good and I don't want to have to put Mike through the removal of the port and changing it to the other side of his chest.

Praise:
We know a reason for the fever
Antibiotics
Friends and neighbors and family to pick up our needs
Nurses
Joshua is 1!
Insurance
Prayer walks
One more day -

This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it! Psalms 118:24

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our leaders were just praying for you about an hour ago. They know God is using Mike and you mightily...even through these hospital stays! Gini

Anonymous said...

Just like Gini's leaders, God place Mike on my mind...so he was also just prayed for in Shalimar! Thanks for keeping us updated...will keep praying, Roxanne
P.S. Love the picture from Nasa's website!