Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankfulness

Today is Thanksgiving and it has been a great and tiring week. The retirement ceremony was incredible on so many levels. First of all, Mike stood for longer than he has done in months. It was truly God enabling him though. There are moments I will never forget for the rest of my life At one point, Mike looked and me and spoke to me and it was just like we were getting married. I will remember the love in his eyes for the rest of my life.



So many people made it happen. Doug and Dena made a video that I hope to down load to the blog sometime this weekend. Doug was the narrator and they ran around like crazy for us. Myagi and Weeds came up from Dyess with a Flag. Col Weigand and his family drove from Fl. We had tons of relatives that flew in from MN, friends that drove from Abilene, friends and relatives that drove in from Longview, and of course all the family. We had about 50-60 people. Honestly, it was hard too. I helped Mike get dressed in his flight suit for the last time and I lost it a little bit. I made me think of the very first time I saw him in it at Mather AFB. How does life move so fast?



The ceremony was knitted together perfectly by God. It was a witness from beginning to end about the plans and power God had from Day 1 with Mike's AF career. Mike accomplished great things, but in the end it was about our journey to know the Lord and the incredible friendships that have been made that truly marks this AF career. I am thankful for each and every moment that we have had with the AF and look forward to what lies on the civilian side.



At the end of the ceremony, Mike had really pushed himself so hard, that he spent some time in the bathroom. We got home and then got a call that Mike's blood was critically low and had to head back to the hospital for more blood. We spent all night in the ER, where I contracted a nasty eye infection (my eye closed shut...) and then got to a room at around 9:00 am. We received 6 pints of blood and went home at about 10:00 pm. Honestly, Mike has been wiped out ever since. So much so that I am starting to worry today. He is just so tired. If he doesn't perk up a little bit by tomorrow we are heading to the doctor.



We did go to see Dr. Rae and do a colonic yesterday. Dr Rae increase his lipids and things like calcium and magnesium in his TPN. Mike is still losing weight, so we need to add more calories to stop that. Mike has had a little bit of pain today as well.



So as you can tell, fear is creeping in a little today. A day when I am supposed to be thankful and I have allowed the fear to come back. So I am going to end by the fact that I am thankful to everyone who made the retirement happen. I am thankful to the AF for the journey you gave us. I am thankful to God for making a way to Him through Jesus Christ. I am thankful that God gave us a wonderful daughter. I am thankful for the family that surrounds us. I am thankful for the friends who are our family as well. I am thankful for the Miller's visit this week.



Please Pray:

Mike to eat and drink

Mike to stop losing blood

For fear to stop coming around

For quality time together

For wisdom in making decisions

For time to complete SSA, Tricare and dentist needs



May God Bless you today!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just prayed for you all and I will conitune to do so!

Gods blessings and peace to you all!
Kelly
(Tucson)

Anonymous said...

All of you have been lifted up in prayer, and will continue to be so. I leave you with Joshua 1:7-9 and 2 Timothy 1:7 and 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. Until we all see Jesus face-to-face, Ken Brewer

P.S. Thank you for doing your blog so that we all may know better how to pray to The LORD on your behalf.

Jeanne robinson said...

You have a blessed day. Please remember that you three are in our prayers back at Cinco Baptist. Elisabeth we miss you and the children still pray for you!!
May God give you three the strenght you need . Mike is in our prayers in sunday school there is not a week that goes by without us praying for you! love Mrs. Robinson

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled to hear the ceremony went great! We all anxiously await the video and/or pictures from this special day.

You all are in my thoughts and prayers and hope everyday brings you more strength than the last.

We all have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

Cynthia

Anonymous said...

I so wish it'd been possible for me to make the ceremony this week. And I'm so glad God enabled Mike to be UP for the day, that makes my day today to hear it. Thanksgiving has a whole new meaning this year. Our family too (my dad) has battled with cancer this year, and he's here for the week, something that was not statistically probable in April. But we worship a God who does not deal in probabilities, he deals in Power. As I typed this, Isaiah 53:5 came to mind, "But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed."
Happy Thanksgiving, Mike and Deanna.
Bruce

Anonymous said...

Deanna...Thank you for taking the time to blog. I was so anxious to find out how Mike is doing and how the ceremony went. (I can't wait to see the video!) Know there is not a day that goes by that we haven't prayed for you all. As we thank our Lord today for His many blessings - we thank Him for His tender care, as He carries you through this storm. Love in Christ, The Maxwells

Fancy Nanc said...

Precious Deanna, Elizabeth, and Mike,
Today I am most thankful for all of you and your strength and courage in this battle. God is in control and will not forsake you. Remember that He is always with you even in the stormy days. I am praying for you even as I blog now.
I love all three of you very much. Step aside and let the Lord take this battle....it is His anyway.
Nanc