Friday, November 7, 2008

Stress 101 - Take care of Yourself

Well I have officially cracked physically. Probably mentally too. I have been having chest pains for two days now. My family had an intervention yesterday and I found myself meeting with a Cardiologist today. The EKG was normal, but they have me on a heart monitor for 24 hours. I have been having heart palpitations every once in a while. Dr. Jarrah is convinced it is stress, but he wants to make sure. He is also drawing blood and making me have my mammogram that was due in September. I know the stress is tremendous, but you have to walk through it. You have to. I can do it too, because of everyone helping me.

Our house was packed up in one day and loaded today. We had a team of incredible people take care of it. From Mrs Suhi at TMO (who deserves a medal for her help), to Roxanne, to Missy, to Hoss, to Kathie, to the Webbers. Jeff and Wendy drove from Abiliene to DFW and hopped on a plane to Shalimar. They supervised the loading of the house, took down the nasty turtle tank, loaded the turtles in the car, and are driving in back here to McKinney. They are even staying on Monday to help supervise the off loading of the truck.

Elizabeth stayed home from school today with a nasty head cold. My sister in law took her to the Doctor and I met her there after my appointment. It is a virus, but if it was bacterial I would have put her on antibiotics. A cold, flu, or worse could be deadly for Mike.

My Dad went with me today to the Doctors appointment. It is the first time in a long time that I wanted to crawl in his lap and just cry like a little girl. I can't even verbalize how hard this road is. I want to flip to the end of the book to see how it ends. I want to see that everything will get better. But there is no book on Mike. The only thing I know is that God is here and that the promises in the bible are real. I believe that "by His stripes we were healed". I know that Jesus took that extra punishment before the cross of our healing. I know that when Mike, Elizabeth and I die we will have eternal live in Christ Jesus.

However, the road is still hard. When we were in the ER the other day, I was reading to Mike from James. Here is what we read:
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
James 2-4

All I know at this time, is that we are in a trial. But God has helped us around every corner. EVERY CORNER. At the intervention the other day, I finally threw up my hands to let others in even for the little things. Laundry will be done for me by my mother. My family has hired a maid to come in on Saturdays to clean the house. My Dad has hired a chef to cook meals for Elizabeth and I for awhile. I have a full physical happening next week along with a gym membership. I know this sounds extreme, but remember that blood test Mike and I did? Well mine came back in the scary zone. I will do a retest in 3 months. But in the meantime, I have to take care of myself so that I can take care of Mike and Elizabeth.

Prayer request:
Mike's pain
Godly wisdom with decisions that will be made next week
My health
Elizabeth's health
Mike to eat and drink more
Jeff and Wendy as they drive back here

May God Bless you tonight!

3 comments:

Carey said...

I'm a friend of the Hickman's...I keep checking your blog and praying for you all.
~Carey

lynn / kev said...

God bless you too. On top of all you're going through you must also learn not to forget about taking care of yourself! Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and part of being obedient is taking good care of it for God (I'm learning this too). You are not your own, you were bought with a price, therefore glorify God in your body; whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to glorify God. Stress is hard to handle, and you can't, but HE can. Remember, you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. We're praying for you all. Take good care of yourselves. I'm so thankful to the Lord for your family! They are doing everything they can, and it is wonderful that they can and are doing so much for you guys. God bless them. I hope your mom is doing better, Deanna. We love and miss you all. Give Mike & Elizabeth a big hug for me (miss you). Love always, Lynnette

Lisa said...

I've heard it said that everyone is either in a trial, coming out of a trial, or about to go into a trial. I'm praying you are on your way out.

I'm so glad you are seeing to your own health. That is such wisdom. It is necessary, and a wonderful example to Elizabeth. I know that girl sees EVERYTHING!

I am still praying. I'm not ready to give up. Our God has the power to do all that we are asking of Him...not a bit of it is too hard for Him. He is hope.