Sunday, November 30, 2008

Giving Thanks, tough road ahead

Deanna has let me blog tonight! I have a few minutes now so here we go.

The move was a tremendous success. Thanks to everyone who pitched in. Allowed us to refocus on cancer fighting as quickly as possible.

Thanks to all who helped set up the retirement ceremony. I think everyone enjoyed it.

A lot going on here medically, all of my issues plus several other family members as we try and slog it forward. We had a CT scan yesterday that was not super favorable, so we are re-looking at chemo and radiation. Will probably have two out-patient surgeries early this week. First, to install a "port" versus the "pic" line I have now for IV work. Supposed to be less prone to infection. Second, to install a stint at the esophagus/stomach junction so we can work smarter (not harder) on keeping hydrated and maybe even getting the digestive system going.

Not sure yet if I will get discharged tomorrow or just wait till later in the week.

A lot of abdominal pain right now, I get a shot of some really good stuff every four hours...unfortunately, it starts wearing off at two hours.

Dealing with a lot of medical personal ego issues right now.

Please pray for:
Deanna's over-all well being. Her stress is way too high right now.
Elizabeth's ability to hang on by real faith and to step through the fear.
Wisdom for me to navigate unclear waters and help with hydration, digestion, red blood cell preservation, fluid retention, pain management.

Must go now, love you all.

In Christ,
-Mike

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike, Deanna, and Elizabeth,

We think of you constantly and pray for you too. I am so sorry that things are so stressful right now, and I wish I could wave a magic wand and make everything go away. I know that is the Lord's job, but it's hard to know such beautiful people are hurting so much and I can't just reach out and fix things. So glad the retirement ceremony was so wonderful. We wish we could have been there, but timing with our travels for Thanksgiving didn't permit it. Probably better anyway because Holly has a little virus that she was probably incubating earlier this week, and we really wouldn't want to have exposed Mike to anything. Much love and many hugs to each of you. You are all wonderful blessings and we send our prayers and love.

The Irwins

Lisa said...

Mike, it is so good to hear from you. I wish we could have been at your retirement ceremony. I'm praying for you and still believing God for His best healing work in your life. You come to mind very often, and I always take that as a prompt to shoot up a prayer for you!

-Lisa

lynn / kev said...

Yes, so good to hear from you Mike! Thanks for blogging. We love you and miss you and are praying for you all. John 14:27. Love, Lynnette

Anonymous said...

SO GREAT to hear from you Mike! Love & prayers regarding your requests ... the Armes in Albuquerque

Bruce said...

Mike, you da man! Great to hear from you tonight. We're in your corner...actually, we're in the ring WITH you brother.
Bruce

Anonymous said...

What a nice surprise!! Great to hear from you, Mike. I'm sure both these surgeries will help. Know you will constantly be in our prayers this week! Give those beautiful girls of yours a hug for me. There're a treasure...I think you know that! :)
In faith, Roxanne

Anonymous said...

Dear Friends,
We are still here; praying for your healing and God's direction. I just read the 1st Advent scripture from Romans 15:13~ May the God of Hope fill you with all joy and peace, as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. I am praying for a flood of Hope to come your way!!! May He grant you comfort and easy decisions to eliminate the stress and bring peace overflowing . . . Call anytime if you need to vent or think of anything we can do.
Your sister in Christ,
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike, So glad to hear from you on the blog. I am so happy that I was able to be at your retirement ceremony. I felt honored to be a witness to that and learn about your amazing career (a lot of which I knew nothing about). The entire Lewis family in Minnesota is continuing to pray for strength for all of you as you continue on this journey. Much love from Aunt Mary

Anonymous said...

Mike: Thank you for sharing what your prayer needs are and where you are in your treatment. My prayer is that the port will be as much of an assist as it was for our son Jeb in his treatment. Continuing to hold you and all the family up on prayer and trusting The LORD God Almighty for Him to continue to be glorified in and through you all. In Christ, Ken Brewer

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear from you! I heard your ceremony was wonderful and a day that everyone will remember. I am thankful you were were able to enjoy the day!

I continue to pray for you all every day and hope everything goes well with the surgeries tomorrow. Continue to have faith and be strong. I pray you all are able to get rest!

God Bless you all,
Cynthia