Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 1 - You won't believe what Mike did!


The day is over and the first round of Vidaza is in. Overall, nothing really to report. Mike is in a Chemo fog, but no where near what it normally has been. That is a praise. But I do realize that it is 7 days in a row, so we will see where we are next week.

We saw Dr. Khan before we started today. Overall, everything is ok. Mike has lost another 1/2 pound and that is frustrating. I wish that would stop. His esophagus seems to be closing down again, but we need to get through this Chemo round before we stretch it. Mike's liver is still soft and not enlarged (good sign). So we keep walking forward.
We went back to the Chemo room and I took his medical chart to the front. His medical chart is so large that I will soon need to get a shopping cart to lug it around!! I got a copy of his pathology report from his bone marrow. We are still missing the genetic report, but I always take copies when I can. I took it back to Mike in the Chemo room and we both read it. It seems Mike has a lower level of MDS. In fact, you won't believe what Mike did. He found a web-site that was a flow chart type program. You enter in certain criteria and out will pop your life expectancy with MDS - like a slot machine I guess - pull the handle and see if you won or not. Mike had fun with it. Fran came over to start his IV's and he said, "Fran, want to see what I found? It is a web-site that tells me how long I will live with MDS. It says I will live anywhere from 5.7 to 9.2 years!" Fran said, " You are kidding me? Who comes up with that stuff!" I am watching this a shaking my head. Lord, you can come back anytime now! This life/world is absolutely insane sometimes.
Anyway, all is well tonight. Elizabeth appears to have a cold or allergies. We are praying that it is allergies. She is going to bed at 7:30 just in case. We have to be at the clinic by 8:00 for round #2 tomorrow. Please continue to pray...
Prayer Needs:
Mike to gain weight
Chemo to work and to only effect cancer cells
Sleep.. didn't sleep much last night worrying about the new treatment
Praise:
Rainy days and weekends
Pictures to share with you of Elizabeth at the beach this summer






3 comments:

The Runeberg's said...

Love the photos, but DON'T love those numbers found on the MDS web-site...So we agree with Fran; clearly, they've not met you because if they had, you could show them you are "off the charts!" Because you are! Now, we just "pray... that's where you stay!"

Our loving thoughts to you all ~

Marvie, Jim too:)

Anonymous said...

Deanna,
Did what you said...Mike and your family are on my women's BS prayer list. These women are "extreme" prayer warriors! Love, Gini

lynn / kev said...

You're always on our prayer list! God knows the plans He has for you, to give you a future and a hope, and Mike's got work to do. Amen. Love you guys, Lynnette PS. Wish you were here--Awana & Sparks miss you! xoxox