Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Stuff.. how much of our lives to we spend wanting stuff, changing our stuff, buying stuff, envying others stuff. Mike would fall into the category of "minimalist stuff enthusiast" for sure. When we married, EVERYTHING he owned fit into a two door Geo Metro and that included a large TV. Even so, all of Mike's stuff is still here. Mike is not. I wish it was the other way around.

So after Mike went to heaven, some of the stuff that I really wanted to clear out quickly was his medical stuff - wheelchair, iv poles, medicines, etc. I didn't (and still don't) want to remember Mike sick. I want to fill our lives with memories of him laughing, healthy, and doing what he loved. The story I am about to tell can only be a visual of how God truly does move on this earth and has a plan for things far beyond our vision, our imagination, and even our national boundaries.

After Mike passed away, I had in my refrigerator thousands (literally) of dollars worth of Neupogen and other drugs. At one point, I saw on a medical insurance bill that the Neupogen was billed at $1,000 per shot and I had 15 left. Neupogen is one of those miracle medicines that has come along to increase the white blood cell production in your blood. That is very important to a cancer patient. Chemotherapy can kill white blood cells and without white blood cells even the common cold can kill you. I tried for a long time to give them away to people that might be able to use them. I was not going to throw them away. Every time, I would come up empty and they just sat. At church, I ran into Dr. Armstrong who not only treated Mike twice in the emergency room, but also leads a Medical Mission Trip to Africa each year. We actually have things in common like our daughters play the oboe together in band and his wife led the summer musical that Elizabeth was in two years ago. We don't run in the same circles, but cross paths all the time. Anyway, I asked him if he could use some of Mike's medical supplies. So he came over one afternoon last year and went through all the medications and supplies with me. We dumped some and he took others. He left the Neupogen and went about researching if they could use it in Uganda and then how to transport it 20 + hours and keep in cold with all the other medical equipment and supplies he took over there. He was able to take them and Dr. Armstrong told me he would take pictures and get them to me. I didn't need them. I knew God had a plan for them. I had tried so hard to give them away here, and things seems to fall into place so quickly and easily for them to go to Uganda.

Today, Dr. Armstrong called and said he finally had the video and pictures for me. I was grateful, but honestly had forgotten about it and wasn't expecting what I saw. I literally cried when I saw it. in the video, when he hands the neupogen over and they talk about the milligrams and the eyebrows of the lady raise up... now that is "stuff" that is more than stuff..

Paul Harvy would always say "now for the rest of the story" and it would be cool to tell you about a patient that used it or something like that. But Faith is believing in what you don't see. My faith tells me God used it for a His glory.

I BEG of you to click on this link and scroll down to the bottom of the page and watch this video and then comment and tell me if it moved you the way it moved me!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how God wastes nothing. Deanna, I am so glad you saved those things and passed them on. What an incredible blessing to those who would otherwise not been able to have these things.

Anonymous said...

God is so beyond amazing...and I can imagine Mike is so beyond happy that the medicine was able to be used still.

God bless you Deanna and Elizabeth!

In the love of Christ,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

You amaze me! Thank you for blessing others. I love you and Elizabeth!

Karen

Roxanne said...

What a testimony on how God is still using Mike's journey for His glory!! Amazing and beautiful!

Thank you for blessing us...all of us who still pray for you, who still hurt for you, who still follow this blog, and who loves you both very much!

Sending all our love through Christ Jesus...Roxanne

Anonymous said...

I cried! You're amazing. And it's wonderful that you and the Dr. could do something like this.

Thanks for sharing,
Stephanie Brentwood

Anonymous said...

Do you know where in Uganda it was? My sister normally lives in Kampala but she's here in the US for further testing, possibly a recurring brain tumor?? Lots of love and prayers, Gini

Anonymous said...

This video did move me! God does have plans for everything. I am so glad that it all ended up to good use. I still pray for you and Elizabeth and are in my thoughts often.
BTW-Elizabeth's bassinett has now held 6 baby's and just left to the next household for the next little arrival. Talk about getting great use from an item. =)
Christine Creasy "CC"

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Deanna, Praise God! Thank you for listening to His call! Julie Barclay

Anonymous said...

Mike once told me, "if I can save one person, this would all be worth it." Mike has just saved many.

Love from afar

Anonymous said...

Dear Deanna and Elizabeth,

You came to my mind during our church service today. How are you doing? I would love to have an update if you get the chance. drjmonhollon@hotmail.com

God Bless you both,

John

Kris Cox said...

Thank you for posting this. It's difficult for me to see what I'm typing right now, and it's not because my glasses are dirty.

This was very touching.