Monday, August 2, 2010

Happy Birthday Mike...

Elizabeth and I have spent some time with friends and family on a vacation this week. Something went haywire with the blog and I have tried to do a temporary fix. This is one of my favorite pictures of Mike. It was taken by Beetle on a cross country flight from Tucson to New England. Mike found pure joy in the air and it shows in this picture.

We have yet another milestone this week... Mike's birthday. I don't know if it will be as hard as say Father's Day or our Wedding Anniversary. He hated celebrating his birthday. When you asked him what he wanted he would say an airplane. That was it. I wish we would have just taken the plunge and done it. When you asked him how old he was he would say, "27." I asked him once why 27? Seems like as odd age. He told me he always thought he would only live to age 27. There are so many questions now that he has gone home that I would love to sit down and know the answer too like Mike's thought that he would die young.

So I have been wondering if people celebrate their birthdays in Heaven? I float back and forth between the earthly birth celebration or do they celebrate the earthly re-birth day (Salvation Day) or do they celebrate the Heavenly Birthday (day when you walk into heaven and see Jesus?). In my heart of hearts, I believe celebrations exist in heaven. I mean if Jesus will one day say "well done my good and faithful servant" that statement alone indicates celebration right? I ponder stuff like this all the time.

Finally, please continue to pray for Eric Schmidt at Barksdale AFB and his cancer battle. I would love to contact him somehow especially now that from his last posting it seems like they will be retiring him to just give him some advice/lessons learned from our process.
Mike, we miss you so much. Life is so different without you. Happy, Happy Birthday.... I hope the celebration in Heaven is tremendous. Elizabeth and I plan to honor it here with a trip to one of your favorites... Waffle House!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great picture! As difficult as this week is going to be for you and Elizabeth, I pray you find comfort in knowing he is as peaceful right now, as he was in the photo. We send our love and and prayers...Roxanne and family

lynn / kev said...

Happy Birthday, Mike...we all miss you. We know you're in a much better place than we are, and we're jealous of you in that respect. We want to see Jesus, and know the peace that you know, the joy, no more tears, no more death, no more pain or suffering, no more sin. It's hard for us to imagine that, but we're really looking forward to it! In the meantime, we keep praying for your beloved wife and daughter because they love and miss you so much, and we love them too. But we also know that God is in control of everything, and His ways are far above our ways, His understanding is so high, we can't comprehend it. So we know everything is as it should be. And for today...Happy Birthday, Mike.
Love, Lynnette & the CG in Tucson

Anonymous said...

D,
Hang in there -- praying for you. We just moved back to the U.S. and there's a Waffle House on the main drag here in Charlottesville. You know there'll be extra prayers when we pass it. xoxoxoxo Kathleen