Friday, December 11, 2009

More of the Tricare Story...

First off, I want to praise God for watching over Mike. His White Blood Count actually went up and all of his blood numbers look great. I feel it is important to post things like this so that the world can see what the power of prayer can accomplish. Thank you Jesus!

We went in today and got Mike's CBC and then spent a few minutes with Dr. Khan in his office. At this point, Tricare pays 90% of what Medicaid pays and Medicaid pays just enough to cover the cost of treatment. Remember the post a month or so ago with the bill for $184,000 for Mike's treatments for 6 weeks? Let's assume that 50% of that is cost or $92,000 (I am just making this up by the way. I don't know for sure). That means that for 6 weeks, Dr. Khan paid $9,000 to treat Mike. I like putting numbers to it just to make it more real. $9,000 is probably the salary for 1.5 staff members. So, Dr. Khan submitted a letter to Tricare asking them to pay what Medicaid pays for Mike and I believe 5 others at the clinic. He asked them to respond to his request in 30 days. At the same time, he submitted the 90 day notice letter to Tricare that he will no longer accept Tricare Prime patients. He wants to continue treating Mike and his other patients, but he will not accept other new patients. All he is asking is that they meet his costs.

I am a little shell shocked right now. I didn't know that Tricare actually paid less than Medicaid. This is probably not a big deal if you live in a military community where they make up the costs via volume of patients. It is probably not a big deal if you see doctors for routine issues. But that is not the case with us. You never know if it might be you. 18 months ago, things like this were never thought of and I never knew I needed to be concerned about it. My concern is still the same as yesterday... what happens if Dr. Khan and Tricare can't work this out for Mike? But now there is also the thought of others. Dr. Khan will no longer be treating any new patients with Tricare Prime as primary insurance - that means all our military. Is that fair? I say that because so many doctors have written Mike off - one at MD Anderson, "the best cancer center in the world". Two doctors have told us to get our affairs in order and get on hospice in the course of 15 months. Yet, one doctor said during the first visit, " I had a stage 4 esophageal cancer patient live for almost 4 years. Who know what new treatments can be out in 4 years?" He is right. Immunotherpy, Proton Therapy, Angiogensis, etc. Who had heard of those 4 years ago? There is the virus that has been shown to cause cervical cancer, and the HER2 gene that has been discovered with Breast Cancer and Esophageal cancer. You keep walking. You keep praying. You keep HOPE. This is a doctor you want wouldn't you if it were you beloved husband?

Mike has no risk factors for cancer- no one in his family, no acid reflux, he is young, no factors that anyone can point to and yet here we are. It can happen - and the statistics for cancer are INCREASING according to a recent email we got from LIVESTRONG, Lance's Armstrongs foundation. They say that the statistics are pointing to 1 in 2 people will be diagnosed with cancer by the year 2030. That is in 20 years. Worst yet, there was an article today on the Internet that the new "healthcare bill" will be caps on diseases like cancer and diabetes. Caps? Have the Senator look into say Elizabeth's face and say "I am sorry, you have reached your cap so we are done treating your Dad." It is not the answer. There is an answer, but that is not it. I am going on and on about this, because I want you to know what you could be dealing with if you retire or get sick. I am hoping that our experience is something that you can learn from and not take our same path.

So now that you have probably stopped reading this post because of my soapbox, I need something from you. Pray. Pray that God's plan will be clear to us. If God has another answer for us, pray that it will hit us in the face. Pray that we can continue with Dr. Khan and go back to doing Chemo in his office.

If anybody reading this has any pull or knowledge with Tricare, please make a call on our behalf or call me/email me with wisdom. I have already talked to our Case Manager and she is working and asking questions. She is confident that Dr. Khan will continue treating us if Tricare won't meet the doctor's request to cover the cost of our treatment, but I am not. I also plan on placing a call to the Special Ops Warrior program as soon as I can unpack the box that my folder is in. They may be able to help too.

It is just wrong. This situation is wrong. People need to cover costs to pay bills. Companies need to keep costs down to stay in business. But in the end, where does it leave Mike. Who is going to have to make changes? The doctor? The insurance company? Mike? Pray that God's hand is revealed and that we walk only on the road He sets before us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know any of that about Tricare Prime. It is so very sad that is the best they can do for the men and women who literally put their lives on the line for the protection of our country. And and cap on treatments!?!?! That is insane! I pray for you guys daily and will continue to do so. I've never written a letter to my senator before, but after reading this blog I am going to write one about Tricare and the health care bill they are trying pass. Thanks for all the information. You never know when you just might need it.

God Bless you and your family!
Stephanie